One more time....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited April 14, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

...and I apologize upfront, as I've shown this magnificent car before. Every time I see it, I have to shoot it.

As you look at the lines of that car, keep in mind that the entire body of that car is formed from hand-manipulated sheets of aluminum. There's no machine stamped out fenders, trunk, etc. anywhere on that car. Now, there are certainly other cars that are bodied with hand-formed aluminum. But I have never, ever seen another vehicle of this size and complexity of body contours done up in hand-formed aluminum. I mean, just look at all the swirling, dipping, and rising in the body sufaces.....along with straight sections that have to be perfect. And they are perfect. It takes someone of extraordinary talent in working with metal to pull off a caper like this..... someone who has taken his skills to the highest artisan level.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

That is truly remarkable.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Beautiful

• Lab_TestedLab_Tested Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins

That is an amazing vehicle. I had never seen it before your post, but within an hour, of viewing it, I came across an article on the history of this car. Unfortunately it was heavily damaged in the N. California fires of 2018, but the owner vows to restore it.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Richard said:
    That is truly remarkable.

Hey, Richard. Stay safe.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@Juano said:
    Beautiful

Thanks, buddy.

@Lab_Tested said:
    That is an amazing vehicle. I had never seen it before your post, but within an hour, of viewing it, I came across an article on the history of this car. Unfortunately it was heavily damaged in the N. California fires of 2018, but the owner vows to restore it.

I hope he does. He had to rescue the thing in poor condition from a desert. Then he spent a couple of years bringing it back to life. Now the fire got him. Man, that's tough.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Siiiiiiick!!!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow! This is craziest and prettiest thing! Wow!

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Hand formed aluminum with a lot of lead to smooth it....

Beautiful... How do you check the oil?

Rags

@JonaBeth Russell said:
    Siiiiiiick!!!

Thanks for the visit. Stay safe.

@Stumblebum said:
    Wow! This is craziest and prettiest thing! Wow!

You know, Taz, being the high-end car show hound that I am, at one time or another I've seen examples of just about every classic breed of car ever made. Nothing else I've seen strikes such a feeling of awe in me as this car does.

@torags said:
    Hand formed aluminum with a lot of lead to smooth it....

Beautiful... How do you check the oil?

Good question. The entire rear section of the body, from right behind the cockpit area all the way to the rear, tilts forward. You grab the back of the car, lift up as if raising the hood of a car, and you expose the engine and all for servicing. The engine is a 1948 Buick straight-eight. The thing runs 120 MPH.

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

I love this car - and great shots by the way. I do think this one was made for me! :smiley:

@Cavalier said:
    I love this car - and great shots by the way. I do think this one was made for me! :smiley:

I tell you, Jo, judging by the reaction of people seeing this car, I think half of the world would like to stuff this one in their garage.....me included.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Wow!! Can I have one??

I really surprised that they are letting people stand so close to it.

Black Mamba...I too have not seen this one previously. Lots os good comments already so I won't repeat.

Just one question...for us non-classic car types....what is the name of this beauty, or did I miss that?

edited April 17, 2020

@El Gato said:
    Wow!! Can I have one??

I really surprised that they are letting people stand so close to it.

Black Mamba...I too have not seen this one previously. Lots os good comments already so I won't repeat.

Just one question...for us non-classic car types....what is the name of this beauty, or did I miss that?

Hey, guy. It's identified as the Norman Timbs Special. Mr. Timbs had always been attracted to the styling of a couple of GP race cars of the 1930's. In particular, he liked the Auto Union Type C and the Mercedes-Benz W25 Avus. BTW, Auto Union is now known as Audi. Both of those cars had very streamlined bodies and Mr. Timbs was greatly influenced by them when he went about designing his " Special ".

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Hummm..Norman Timbs Special

Like I said, for us non-classic car types, I would have never even come close to guessing that one.

Thanks for the enlightenment and of course some great images of an awesome vehicle.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Very cool, Tom! Amazing automobile, and great photos! Thanks for sharing these.

@moose135 said:
    Very cool, Tom! Amazing automobile, and great photos! Thanks for sharing these.

Thanks, John. I know you have to be sitting on a hoard pf great Daytona pictures. When are you going to let us in on the party?

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Wow, that is truly spectacular! What a marvelous auto. And great shots, too.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Thanks, John. I know you have to be sitting on a hoard pf great Daytona pictures. When are you going to let us in on the party?

I've been working on them bit by bit. I'll probably post some soon.

@sarasphotos said:
    Wow, that is truly spectacular! What a marvelous auto. And great shots, too.

Thanks, Sara......from one car enthusiast to another.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

TRhat car is some smooth and well fotoed.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

@willard3 said:
    TRhat car is some smooth and well fotoed.

Many thanks. There are not many folks like us who post car shots. I'd sure like to see more do it.