Options

Something old, something new.....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited April 25, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

Something old. Another French classic. This stunning 1936 Delahaye 135 might also be the chrome king of all.

Something new. Beautiful custom work.

Something rare.This 1957 " Airbox " Corvette is one of only 43 made and there are probably only 20 or so still in existance. This was a factory spec racer and got the " airbox " name from a special enclosed cold air induction system.

Something truly exotic. This is a 1965 Shelby Daytona Coupe, number CSX 2601, and one of only six that were made. This very car won a race in France that clinched the 1965 F.I.A. Championship in GT racing for an American manufacturer....for the first time ever. This car sold for over 7 million dollars in the past and I'm sure its current value far surpasses that.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Incredible! Why can't we make anything pretty like that no more!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Incredible! Why can't we make anything pretty like that no more!

Primarily because of rules and regulations. Customer taste and convenience preferences also come into consideration. There's just a myriad of reasons why cars have taken on a homogeneous look in recent times. Sad.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Great shots, I really enjoy reading the history behind each of these. Thanks for taking the time!

• Options
    edited April 26, 2020

@Juano said:
    Great shots, I really enjoy reading the history behind each of these. Thanks for taking the time!

Thanks, Cristóbal. A quick story: The original buyer of the '57 Corvette picked it up at the factory in OH, drove it through the night and just made it in time for an important race in MD. He finished third behind Dick Thompson and Carroll Shelby.