Zone Plate Shot for Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day

mathogremathogre Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins

The title rather says it all. I used a Lensbaby Pinhole/Zone Plate optic switched to the zone plate to take the shot, and I also did a bit of light painting. The subject is my 24/7 model Isla. Enjoy!

Comments

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Lovely shot, Graham. This makes me want to get out my neglected zone plate.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2020

I know lensbaby but not sure what zone plate is. The light and softness is wonderful. However, I get the feeling its one of those new robot dolls that are starting to come out. Not sure how to change that but that's my impression when I see it.

• mathogremathogre Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins

@Cornflake said:
    Lovely shot, Graham. This makes me want to get out my neglected zone plate.

Thank you, @Cornflake!

@Stumblebum said:
    I know lensbaby but not sure what zone plate is. The light and softness is wonderful. However, I get the feeling its one of those new robot dolls that are starting to come out. Not sure how to change that but that's my impression when I see it.

Lensbaby made an optic that was a combination of pinhole and zone plate. Think of the zone plate as a circular diffraction grating. Though I've got a technical background, my ability to describe them pretty much ends there. On my "model", it's just a mannequin. This one is fiberglass. I use it for lighting testing and steady shooting practice. My first one was plastic, and had that for many years until it broke.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Thanks for dropping the knowledge! It makes sense now! ;o)