Options

Hasselblad Camera backs.

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited December 11, 2005 in Cameras
I dont know much about hasselblad cameras. I just know where they are manufactured. Been in the same building! So, what is a Camera Back? How does it work? I have tryd t find someinfo on the hasselblads homepage, but my searching skills seems not so good. Im sure there are alot of medium format shooters who can help me.

Anyone who knows where I can find prices on hasselblad cameras? Just courius.

:harry

Comments

• Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    Backs and other secrets of MF
    Good place to buy Hasse stuff is www.keh.com

A back is a removable cartrige which you load roll film into. Either a 120 or 220 or long roll studio back for Hasse. 120 produces 12 6x6cm images on a paper backed strip of film. 220 produces 24 6x6cm images on a paper attached strip of film. 120 harks back to red window advance days when the frame marks were printed on the paper backing of the film, the photographer looked through a red tinted window to see the number of the next frame, ortho film responded poorly to red light so there was little risk in fogging the film. 220 only has a paper leader and ender so as to roll more film on a spool, the pressure plate must be tighter in the back/camera to keep the thinner film from curling. The advantage of a back is (if you can afford more than one) you can place a dark slide through the back to cover the film, remove the back and change mid roll, so you could carry a 120 back with 100 speed slide film, a 220 back with 800 speed portra, a 220 with T-max 400, and just for fun a 120 back of 400 speed T-Max that you push 2 stops to 1600 on the SAME camera. Then you can adjust your film to your lighting conditions, and never compromise. Most people who use Hasse's these days (high end wedding photogs, a few portrait hold outs, and fine art photogs) covet Hasse equpiment and the price has remained pretty high. 120 backs are relatively cheap 75-125 dollars, they were the standard back shipped with most hasse kits. 220 backs are snapped up by wedding photogs and can be had for 150 for a beater, and 250 for something pristine. I would recommend a 6x6 SLR or TLR and prime lenses to anyone who wants to hone their compositional powers, and if you can afford it you might as well get the best, and there is no better than a Victor Hasselblad.