allow other file types for upload - PDF, MS-Office, OpenOffice

gtmalonegtmalone Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
edited January 9, 2020 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Hello. Would like to be able to upload other file types such as PDF, MS-Office, OpenOffice. I write tech tips on a motorcycle site and trip logs for my road trips. It would be useful to have the documents and related pics in one place.

Thanks for listening.

Submitted to http://feedback.smugmug.com

Comments

• pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2020

For what it's worth, I agree.
    I'd like to have the PDF of my CV/Gear List (for prospective producers) stored in the same place where I have my photos, instead of having to use another site.

pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • beamskerdadbeamskerdad Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Adding to the conversation in support of PDFs.

Why: When shooting and sharing event photos, I generally have brochures or programs from the event I'd like to include as a PDF. While I can easily reduce a PDF to individual images for inclusion in a gallery, that disembodies them, a bit bizarre for the viewers of these galleries to reckon with.

I've submitted this to SmugMug in their recommended Google Forms channel, but I am adding it and up-voting the original from gtmalone because there seems to be no transparency into the requests submitted through that form.
  • gtmalonegtmalone Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    I appreciate the up votes!

No response yet from smugmug. Resubmitted on the feedback form.
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

I seriously doubt SmugMug will ever implement that. They are a photo site. But, if you own your own domain, you can create a subdomain and upload those file there.

I'm not to the need or desire of having my own web site. Stuff would still be in two places unless I also stored pics and text there. I don't have any desire to upload 7K pics again to another site and update existing links on other websites.

Many pics or groups of pics have a text that goes with them. I'm looking for a way to have everything in ONE place, minimize work to post pics and related text, and make it easier for folks to find the stuff without cross linking pics and documents.

I see you are on the Help Desk. Would you be able to communicate this request to SmugMug and have them reply to me? Thanks.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 16, 2020

@gtmalone said:
    I see you are on the Help Desk. Would you be able to communicate this request to SmugMug and have them reply to me? Thanks.

I agree with @Hikin' Mike but you can contact support if you'd like.

You can contact the help desk by email, https://help.smugmug.com/email-a-smugmug-support-hero-rkwelDyVrz

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

@gtmalone said:

I don't work for SmugMug, so I have no way to communicate that other than file a request.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

I'm a volunteer on DGrin, but there is no way I would recommend SmugMug to support PDF files from customers. Just Google, "can pdf files carry viruses" to get a glimpse why they are a potential security risk.

In order to create a PNG file with textual information, just layout the document using Scribus, or similar:

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 17, 2020

Well, so much for that idea. I appreciate the possible solutions but that creates more work.

Text type files will go to googledrive with links to smugmug.