Anyone own the 77D - AND - have a full manual only lens?

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins

I once had a 70D (and I've still got a 40D) but I need to find out if the 77D can do the following precise thing:

In Live View Mode, with the 77D in Manual (M) and** with a manual lens attached** (no electronics, such as LAOWA lenses, particularly the Venus 60mm) - does the LV screen show the subject - i.e. what the lens sees, or is it black (i.e. nothing can be seen)?

Reason being - the 750D, 760D, 200D, 250D - all the beginners cameras, you CANNOT use LV when using Manual lenses in Manual mode to compose via the Live View screen.

I suspect all the double digit cameras would show the subject...

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Paul,

I was hoping someone with the 77D and a lens without electronics would chime in. The 77D is a bit if an odd camera, with some Rebel components and some xxD components.

If no one responds, I suggest contacting Canon directly, because my searches are not fruitful.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited May 23, 2020

For completeness, my Canon M50 mirrorless and Canon EOS 80D both work properly and as expected with a Samyang EF mount 14mm, f2.8, ED AS IF UMC, another all-manual and no electronics, prime lens. Live View on the 80D and both the LCD and Electronic Viewfinder on the M50 (with Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS M), all display images with that lens.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins

Thank you Ziggy.

I'm hoping to try a 70D body in the near future - it's the one way to be sure!

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk