Options

A walk in the Fall

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Whoa.... Great snap....

Good work Tom...

Rags
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2020

Thanks, Rags. The background off to the left is Bass Lake.....apply named. This trail is about 1 mile in length and circles the entire lake. It's all part of the massive Moses Cone Estate located near Blowing Rock, NC. The property is now owned and operated by the State.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

I miss that color in California; we don't have it...

You caught the right time of day with the morning fog...

Rags
  • Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

Beautiful scene. We had a chance to visit the estate briefly several years ago around Thanksgiving. Beautiful but it was very cold that day. The view is fantastic. Thanks for posting.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2020

@OrvSal said:
    Beautiful scene. We had a chance to visit the estate briefly several years ago around Thanksgiving. Beautiful but it was very cold that day. The view is fantastic. Thanks for posting.

Good to hear from you, Orv. Thanks for looking in.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Nice, brilliant colors! It looks as if there was so fog coming off the lake (?). This is my favorite season of the year.

Wonderfully done!

• Options

Thanks, my friend. Actually, some low-flying clouds had muscled their way into that area. When I saw how it was developing, I hustled back on the trail to this spot....knowing that the clouds could produce an interesting effect.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Woooooow. period.

• Options

@Juano said:
    Woooooow. period.

Many thanks, buddy.

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

It's beautiful. The verticals seem tilted to me, though.

• Options

@Cornflake said:

Thanks, Don. All the trees grow toward the water. Look at the trees.....most of their limb structure is on the water side of the tree. Over time, the tree trunks as well will lean that way. When shooting in the mountains, you learn quickly to trust the level bubble on your tripod ball head.

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I'm sure you're right. I tend to view straight as more subjective than objective but that's just me.

• Options

@Cornflake said:
    I'm sure you're right. I tend to view straight as more subjective than objective but that's just me.

Well, Don, I have the same tendencies in this case as you do. Shooting the old barns that I do, I used to get frustrated trying to settle on a " level " image....when, in fact, there's nothing level in 95% of those cases. So I got in the habit of making sure the camera is level and then let the chips fall where they may.

• Options
    edited May 25, 2020

@Cornflake said:

I agree, it is not the trees so much, but the horizontal line at the end of the trail.

• Options

@Juano said:

@Cornflake said:

I agree, it is not the trees so much, but the horizontal line at the end of the trail.

Moses Cone had an unusual hobby.....he loved to build roads. As he developed his massive estate, he ran roads all over the place. The line you refer to at the end of the trail ( actually a carriage road in days gone by ) is not horizontal, by design. All the trails, wherever they are , have a slight slope to them to preclude any accumulation of water on them. Those trails by the lake have a slight slope toward the lake.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow is the only word!

• Options
    edited May 26, 2020

@Stumblebum said:
    Wow is the only word!

Many thanks, Taz. I value your input very much.

• Options

@black mamba said:

@Juano said:

@Cornflake said:

Moses Cone had an unusual hobby.....he loved to build roads. As he developed his massive estate, he ran roads all over the place. The line you refer to at the end of the trail ( actually a carriage road in days gone by ) is not horizontal, by design. All the trails, wherever they are , have a slight slope to them to preclude any accumulation of water on them. Those trails by the lake have a slight slope toward the lake.

That makes sense, thanks Tom.

• Options

@Juano said:

@black mamba said:

@Juano said:

@Cornflake said:

That makes sense, thanks Tom.

You bet, buddy. Hope you get out soon.