Mustang P-51 C.....and friends

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited May 28, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

The North American ( manufacturer ) P-51 became the premier fighter plane of WW II.....but it didn't start out that way. Unbelievably, the original version went from conception to a flying prototype in a little over 100 days. The first model, the P-51 A, had an American made Allison engine. It proved capable as a low-level ground support plane. However. its performance at levels above 15,000 feet left a lot to be desired. Some folks in the English air force suggested that their Merlin engine, at that time used in the their Spitfire and Hurricane fighters, would significantly improve the P-51's performance at altitude. Did it ever!! The plane was now capable of dominating the skies over Europe. The P-51, because of extra fuel capacity designed into its airframe along with the use of drop tanks under each wing, could now accompany the bombers they were to guard all the way to targets deep in Germany and back home again.

Subsequent models.....the P-51 B and the P-51 C ....began to assert their dominance in combat. The B and C models were essentially the same aircraft. The B's were made in one plant and the C's were made in another. The P-51 D showed up a little later in the war. It was quickly identified by its much smaller bubble canopy. A lot of folks don't know this, but the B and C models were slightly faster than the D model....because of the cockpit configuration and some slight differences in wing design. The trade-off in speed with the D model was well worth it because the bubble canopy gave the pilot a much improved view of the battleground in which he fought. And spotting the enemy early is everything in aerial combat.

1 )

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Nice pics and background history. #5 is beautiful.

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

The old P51 is a plane my mom might have worked as a riveter on - in a converted New Jersey auto plant (coulda been the P49)...

Man in those days - that was flying...

Rags
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Juano said:

Thanks, buddy. Have you gotten out yet?

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@torags said:
    The old P51 is a plane my mom might have worked as a riveter on - in a converted New Jersey auto plant (coulda been the P49)...

Man in those days - that was flying...

Boy, Rags, you got that right. I've had a sniff of what it was like to fly in a P-51. The following P-51 D, Sizzlin Liz, belongs to a guy who lives here in Jacksonville. He has taken me for a ride in that beast. I have to say that it is the most visceral experience I've ever had in an airplane. When he is doing a final run-up before takeoff, the plane, under full braking, is sitting there seemingly lurching in every direction at once. It's really shuddering. And loud beyond description. When he releases the brakes, the plane claws its way airward with a ferocity of a caged animal that's been released. It's an unforgettable experience.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Killer set Tom! Wow shots! Not just documentary shots but artsy as well! #5 is wall hanger for me! Cheers!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2020

@black mamba said:

@Juano said:

Thanks, buddy. Have you gotten out yet?

Hi Tom. Not yet, but we are in the process. Soon. Thanks for asking.

@Stumblebum said:
    Killer set Tom! Wow shots! Not just documentary shots but artsy as well! #5 is wall hanger for me! Cheers!

Thanks, Taz. I surprised myself with #5. I'm going to get that one blown up big and hang it in my office.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Great set!

I think you will like the enlargement of #5!

Thanks for sharing these!!

@El Gato said:
    Great set!

I think you will like the enlargement of #5!

Thanks for sharing these!!

Thanks. Good to hear from you.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Nice set, Tom, I like them all.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

@willard3 said:
    Nice set, Tom, I like them all.

Thanks, buddy. The restoration on that Mustang was really impressive. That Collins group sure knows what they're doing.

• GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Very nice set, I flew on that B-24 from Collins and did an air to air shoot of their TF-51D Mustang “Toulouse Nuts” . I wish i can fly on a P-51 one day , you are a lucky guy :-)

@Gatto said:
    Very nice set, I flew on that B-24 from Collins and did an air to air shoot of their TF-51D Mustang “Toulouse Nuts” . I wish i can fly on a P-51 one day , you are a lucky guy :-)

Very lucky and grateful. Years ago, I got to go on a short hop in a B-24 and a B-17, as well as a B-25 ( damn, that thing was loud ). I thought I was set up to take a ride in a really rare plane......a dual control Spitfire. I thought I was going to cry when that deal went south. I did get to crawl all over it, though. Got in both cockpits. Lord, if I can go back in time, please let me pilot a Spitfire.

• GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2020

@black mamba said:

@Gatto said:

Very lucky and grateful. Years ago, I got to go on a short hop in a B-24 and a B-17, as well as a B-25 ( damn, that thing was loud ). I thought I was set up to take a ride in a really rare plane......a dual control Spitfire. I thought I was going to cry when that deal went south. I did get to crawl all over it, though. Got in both cockpits. Lord, if I can go back in time, please let me pilot a Spitfire.

The Airport 5 minutes from my House has the Collins foundation's Hangars with the F-4, A-4, F-100, and the Me262, so from time to time I go visit my friend, that volunteer there and I get to climb inside the planes , what a treat :-), on top of that we see a lot of military Aircraft as well as the NASA fleet, that part is based here at EFD. I wish here on Dgrin there was a Group just for planes.

@Gatto said:

@black mamba said:

@Gatto said:

The Airport 5 minutes from my House has the Collins foundation's Hangars with the F-4, A-4, F-100, and the Me262, so from time to time I go visit my friend, that volunteer there and I get to climb inside the planes , what a treat :-), on top of that we see a lot of military Aircraft as well as the NASA fleet, that part is based here at EFD. I wish here on Dgrin there was a Group just for planes.

Actually, there are a fair number of folks on the forum that are into planes and aviation. Don't hesitate to post on this sub-forum anything about planes that you find interesting. I know that I, and others, would love to see some of the stuff that you have access to. By design, this sub-forum OCS catches a lot of stuff. I've found that aviation material is always well received.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Very nice, Tom! I've been up close with those Collins' birds a number of times. They do a fine job with them, and you've captured them beautifully.

@moose135 said:
    Very nice, Tom! I've been up close with those Collins' birds a number of times. They do a fine job with them, and you've captured them beautifully.

Hey, John. Great to hear from you. I trust you've stayed safe. You have anything from Daytona ready for us yet?