Options

Design change inheritance

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

I think this is the intended behavior but want to make sure there is not a feature of which I am ignorant.

I'm building a separate small tree of folders and galleries in my site. I do not want to change the main site design, but I want to change the design of these folders and galleries slightly -- BUT I want these pages to have the same design as each other.

I think I have to change each gallery/folder individually. Is that correct? There's no provision to inherit from the parent (changed) page?

And there's no mass change for doing things like adding an HTML block or breadcrumb to the same place on a bunch of galleries?

It's not terrible to do each individually but I expect to have maybe 30 or 50 smart galleries when done, and it's tedious. And error prone.

Just want to make sure in the features added over the last 6 years or so since I stopped paying close attention (because I was happy with my design!) some great new tool had not come along?

Linwood

Comments

• Options

So I found a relatively simple work-around, though I am still curious if there is an alternative.

The workaround is to put the new features on ALL pages, turn them off with CSS on all pages, then turn them back on only on pages with the sm-page-parentnode I need.

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins

@Ferguson said:
    So I found a relatively simple work-around, though I am still curious if there is an alternative.

The workaround is to put the new features on ALL pages, turn them off with CSS on all pages, then turn them back on only on pages with the sm-page-parentnode I need.

That's what I do.

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2020

There's also a relative new "parentnode". This allows you to apply CSS to flow down from any starting point like a new folder.
    Example of applying a specific banner to one section of site. Note "parentnode" only covers everything below folder. You have to do folder also. Capitalized "Pages" in comment means all folders, galleries and pages.

____ ____ infrared banner ____ ____,
    .sm-page-parentnode-jmfHq .sm-page-widget-12536016,   /* flow down applies to all Pages below folder */
    .sm-page-node-jmfHq .sm-page-widget-12536016 {              /* applies only to the specific folder */
     background:url(/photos/i-Wc2Hv9H/0/O/i-Wc2Hv9H.jpg) no-repeat;
     height:119px;
     max-width:788px;
     position:relative;
     margin:0 auto!important;
     background-size:contain!important
    }

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options

@Allen, thanks, as mentioned, I am using parentnode.

@Hikin' Mike thanks, appreciate confirmation I was not wasting my time.