Old barns in the Fall

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

The first one is gorgeous! Well done.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Juano said:
    The first one is gorgeous! Well done.

Many thanks, Cristóbal.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Wow! These are great, Tom! The first one is perfect. Just an amazing fall scene and mysterious old barn, perfectly composed. The second is a great study of another awesome old barn. However, I wish it was shot a bit wider to get a better feeling for "sense of place" like the first one assuming of course the location lent itself to that. (Somehow I'm guessing it didn't though. ) Lovely pic either way.

Thanks so much, Joel, for your comments. I always value your input. Your remark about " sense of place " is spot on. I usually make a strong effort to address that consideration. As you surmise, however, certain elements on either side of the second shot caused me to opt for a bit tighter presentation. Sometimes, old equipment and such laying around can add " character " to the shot and I'll incorporate it in the image......in this case, though, those elements just didn't work. Take care, my friend.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Great Tom! First one is "print big" candidate. You should put together a calendar. Is for me to say, I won't do it but these are simply wonderful.

@Stumblebum said:
    Great Tom! First one is "print big" candidate. You should put together a calendar. Is for me to say, I won't do it but these are simply wonderful.

Thanks for your support, Taz. I once considered putting some of my stuff on the Appalachians together in a small book format. I even had a professor at the Appalachian State University in Boone, NC, willing to assist me. He was working on a project of his own and was going to use some of my work in his book. His funding evaporated....damn shame....and he left ASU. The enormity of the challenge to proceed by myself was not appealing to me. I shoot for fun and personal enjoyment....the prospect of having to deal with a litany of business-type considerations, in an arena I'm not familar with, eventually sapped my enthusiasm for the project. Occasionally, though, I still think about doing something along those lines.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Wonderful set of images!!

If you ever have the itch again to reconsider writing a book, let me know. I have several ideas along the lines you were initially looking at with the chap at ASU. We can always pick this up in PM and swap specific details. I have some experience in both the production/development and business end of the publishing process. I think this would be a fun and interesting project.

Thanks for sharing these beauties.

edited June 8, 2020

@El Gato said:
    Tom...

Wonderful set of images!!

If you ever have the itch again to reconsider writing a book, let me know. I have several ideas along the lines you were initially looking at with the chap at ASU. We can always pick this up in PM and swap specific details. I have some experience in both the production/development and business end of the publishing process. I think this would be a fun and interesting project.

Thanks for sharing these beauties.

Many thanks for your kind comments. The prospect you raise of a collaborative effort to showcase the Appalachians, albeit in a fairly restricted fashion, is very appealing. It is a project that would mean a lot to me. The core issue, for me, is whether or not I'm willing to devote the time and energy to such an endeavor. My situation with the ASU guy was quite some time ago. I've got to take an honest look at the prospect of such an effort at this stage of my life and determine if I'm willing , or able, to muster the troops for another run in this direction. It is an issue that I will address. Having someone with your credentials involved would be a big plus. We'll talk further of this.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Whenever you are ready...even if it is just to kick around ideas and possibilities! :)