Life at 700 nm: A Continuing Story

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Had an opportunity to get out last weekend. Spent some time, socially distant, at the local park. Stole some time during the week to process these.

All images are infra-red, shot with my trusty, IR color modified D300. More to come. Hopefully soon.

C&C always welcomed and appreciated.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wonderful Gato! I would rank them 3, 1 & 2! Cheers mate!

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

Really liking # 1! This is a very nice example of a, "Scene less seen". Thousands have walked by this and never considered it as a photo candidate, but it speaks volumes.
    I love how the limb has fallen, and yet caught by it's neighbor. With all the vertical and horizontal components of the scene, this singular diagonal splits to become a subject, but not a typical subject.

... And that's only part of the intrigue and attraction.

Nearly lost in the scene is the solitary soul, in silent contemplation on the park bench. His position in the shade, and his contemplative posture, cement the scene. Nearly lost in the shadows, we have to wonder at his thoughts, seemingly unaware of the overhead branch, somewhat precarious above.

The scene tonalities are nicely distributed, and the IR lends an other-worldly feel; familiar but not ordinary.

Excellent and deserving to be printed!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2020

I've never indulged in IR photography. But I've always appreciated the works of those who do.....and who have a real skill at doing so. I place you in the group that has these skills. I always look forward to you interpretive work.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • mathogremathogre Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins

Very cool photos, @El Gato ! I especially love the IR photo contest shot on your website.

I've shot with various regular Canon DSLRs using an 830nm filter on the front of the lens (~30s time exposures), and rented a converted Canon 7D with a 720nm filter (real time imaging). I enjoyed IR, but it is a lot of work. You've inspired me to reconsider IR for new work in the coming months and years!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Gato, I like what I've seen before of your work. I shoot black-and-white IR but I've never acquired a taste for the color variety. My comments should be taken (or disregarded) accordingly. I like the third one here, probably because it's the least like color IR.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Taz, Ziggy, Tom, Graham, Cornflake...

Thank you all sooooooo very much for your inspiring, detailed comments and support!!

Your feedback certainly pushes me to do more and to keep refining and bettering my imaging work.

I hope to have more IR work to share in the coming weeks.

Thank you again everyone, I truly appreciate your feedback!!