Milky Way over the Watchman

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited May 29, 2020 in Landscapes

Classic view of the Watchman peak from the Junction Bridge in Zion National Park. Two frames blended, one for the sky and one for the earth. Both ISO ISO10,000 , F/2.8. Sky 20s, earth 300s. Canon 5DMKIV + Canon 24-70 F/2.8 MKII. I took lots of frames of the sky intending to stack them for noise reduction, but this "proof" image came out well enough that I may not bother.

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

What can I saybut "WOW"!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Yeah, wall hanger K-dog! Blown away! Bravo! Yeah, don't mess with this no more!

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@sarasphotos said:
    What can I saybut "WOW"!

Thank you, Sara! :blush:

@Stumblebum said:
    Yeah, wall hanger K-dog! Blown away! Bravo! Yeah, don't mess with this no more!

Thanks for the high praise, man! It's Milky Way season -- let's go get 'em!!

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Awesome.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Beautiful!

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 29, 2020

Gorgeous and awe inspiring beauty! A part of your Magnum Opus.

I agree that this is perfectly processed for printing.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

@Richard said:
    Awesome.

@denisegoldberg said:
    This is amazing, well done!

Thank you Richard and Denise!!

@ziggy53 said:
    Gorgeous and awe inspiring beauty! A part of your Magnum Opus.

I agree that this is perfectly processed for printing.

Thank you kindly, Ziggy!! I will admit I'm pretty stoked about this one. OK, will print a proof of this on my home printer and maybe order a metal print from Bay Photo. Really appreciate your kind words.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 30, 2020

Just simply awesome. Well done!

Was it the moon that was lighting up the canyon wall? If I remember correctly, you are facing north taking this. I thought the MW was visible mostly to the south?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

@David_S85 said:

Was it the moon that was lighting up the canyon wall? If I remember correctly, you are facing north taking this. I thought the MW was visible mostly to the south?

Thanks, David! You're actually facing southeast here, exactly what you want for the MW core. The tiny sliver of the moon had already set. Light painting provided by the city of Springdale as far as I know!

@moose135 said:
    Beautiful!

Thanks, Moose!!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

@kdog said:

@David_S85 said:

Thanks, David! You're actually facing southeast here, exactly what you want for the MW core. The tiny sliver of the moon had already set. Light painting provided by the city of Springdale as far as I know!

Aha! That explains it. Thanks. I knew there was a tall ridge on the left when viewing south on the bridge. I just thought you were shooting from the other side looking north towards the other canyon side. I went to google earth just a while ago to try to figure this out.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Great work, Joel.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Congratulations! Beautiful shot.

@black mamba said:
    Great work, Joel.

@Juano said:
    Congratulations! Beautiful shot.

Thanks very much, Tom and Cristóbal! Good to hear from you guys.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Terrific, Joel. I'm not surprised that you nailed it in the slightest.

@Cornflake said:
    Terrific, Joel. I'm not surprised that you nailed it in the slightest.

Thanks, Don! That's high praise coming from you! :blush:

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

Wow Joel! Incredible capture of the MW. Did you wait long for this? What time did you take the MW? Must have been past midnight (if you took this recently)?

@shniks said:
    Wow Joel! Incredible capture of the MW. Did you wait long for this? What time did you take the MW? Must have been past midnight (if you took this recently)?

Thanks, Nikhil! It was around 3am on May 25, memorial day. I used Photopills to nail down the time that the MW would be in the right spot.

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Great capture Joel! I've been doing some research, and planning a couple Milky Way images, and this shot is very inspirational.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

@dlplumer said:
    Fantastic, Joel!!!

Thanks very much, Dan!

@roaddog52 said:
    Great capture Joel! I've been doing some research, and planning a couple Milky Way images, and this shot is very inspirational.

Thanks very much, Phil. I haven't done a whole lot of this stuff myself yet, and I'm pretty stoked to do some more. Just have to find the time to get out there.
    I'll be looking forward to see what you come up with.

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

Nice one. We were at Zion last week, but didn't have a chance to try any milky way shots.

Sherry

@slpollett said:
    Nice one. We were at Zion last week, but didn't have a chance to try any milky way shots.

Thanks, Sherry. Is "we" the operative word there? Night photography is usually pretty impossible with non-photographer companions I've found.

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

@kdog said:

@slpollett said:

Thanks, Sherry. Is "we" the operative word there? Night photography is usually pretty impossible with non-photographer companions I've found.

Actually, "we" would have all been happy to get out in the middle of the night to get some milky way shots. Last year, my non-photographer husband and I vacationed at Zion. I signed us both up for a photography excursion to shoot milky way. Hubs said he would go with me but really wasn't interested in doing any photography himself. I packed my second camera body anyway, rented another wide-angle lens and tripod from the excursion shop and set him up to shoot anyway. He got some really awesome milky way shots from around the same spot you were at (I assume you were on the little bridge over the Virgin River that is on the Pa'rus trail), so now he is HOOKED!! (lol). I'm gonna make a photographer out of that boy, yet!! This time, it was me being the party pooper. I managed to get a kidney stone during our vacation and spent most of our time there not feeling well. (I'm fine now.) Oh well, now I just have an excuse to have to go back!

I really do love your photo. :)

Sherry P.