Starry, Starry Night ... at the Hoodoos

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited June 21, 2020 in Landscapes

Another fabulous night shooting the stars at Toadstool Hoodoos. Here we have a 2 hour exposure, showing the star trails over the hoodoos. Two exposures - one for the foreground at dusk and a second one for the star trails. Nikon D850 and the Nikon 14-24mm lens @ 14mm.

UPDATE: I got a chance to go back to the Hoodoos yesterday and dialed in the exposure this time around - this came out much better with the color showing up. I have replaced the original photo with the new version.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Dang! You're on fire with these images lately.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Its nice! I think its caught between b&w and color. I would just go b&w to make things simple. JMO. Cheers!

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Its nice! I think its caught between b&w and color. I would just go b&w to make things simple. JMO. Cheers!

Yeah! The issue is that there were just too many stars and I had to reduce the brightness to just get it to look like this. What do you think I can do? Maybe not stack it for the full 3 hours? I could do it for an hour - that might make it look better. I am not sure about this one.

Cheers,

Yeah, I came to conclusion maybe 20-30 minutes is enough for stacking. Still experimenting with it.......

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Oh, now you're just showing off. :smiley: You do wonders with night exposures and star trails.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

If you reduce the exposure on the sky then you'll get fewer stars trailing and better definition. Also, you'll get more color out of them because they're not overexposed. You can see the color in the top corners of the image in the vignetted areas.

edited June 19, 2020

@kdog said:
    If you reduce the exposure on the sky then you'll get fewer stars trailing and better definition. Also, you'll get more color out of them because they're not overexposed. You can see the color in the top corners of the image in the vignetted areas.

Should I also reduce the stacking time? Instead of 390 images for 3+ hours, do maybe like 75 or so? So the color is not there due to them being overexposed? I have the RAW files too, but just can't work with those as my computer (Macbook Pro), couldn't handle the Tiffs. Can I play with exposure using JPEGs (I shot RAW + JPEG)?

Cheers,

Nikhil

@Stumblebum said:
    Yeah, I came to conclusion maybe 20-30 minutes is enough for stacking. Still experimenting with it.......

I will try it out today and see how it goes. I have the RAW files too, but didn't realize how much time it takes. I started to process the files to TIFFs and the Macbook Pro couldn't handle it. So now I guess I will just have to make do with the JPEGs.

@Cavalier said:
    Oh, now you're just showing off. :smiley: You do wonders with night exposures and star trails.

Thanks much - appreciate it. Although I am not happy with these as they have lost the color (as pointed out by others). Need to fix that. B)

Cheers,

@Stumblebum said:

I managed to go back last night with another photographer and dialed in the ISO (kept it at 1000 instead of 3200). It came out much better with the color showing. I replaced the OP with the updated pic.

Cheers,

Working hard! Its lovely! Bring us more!