black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

1)

2 )

3 )

4 )

5)

6 )

7 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Love love love #4! Keep em coming Tom!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Love love love #4! Keep em coming Tom!

Be careful what you wish for, Taz. I get wrapped up in this stuff and I don't when to stop. Take care, buddy.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator

Capture them now, and capture them well - they will all be gone in a few years. I share your love of old barns too.

I know of several I've shot over the last decade that are no longer with us - either fell down and ignored, or tore down and replaced with a "modern" sheet metal panel pole barn.

One suggestion might be to try to capture some of them at sunrise or sunset - I am aware that photographing private property can sometimes alarm rural owners too, especially when the light begins to fall. DAMHIK

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Oh damn, my count was messed up, I meant #5!! Hahaha!

I agree with Jim. Not just Barns, freaking Trees have bad habit of falling down and breaking away. I had such good comps and I go there I am so tormented by tree that is no more.

One more thing, back when I was climbing mountains, I left so many shots on the table thinking I would be back. Many years, injuries and pounds later, I am wondering what in the world was I thinking? Just hand held click would have done the job.

So yeah, keep on clicking!

• Options
    edited June 19, 2020

@pathfinder said:
    Capture them now, and capture them well - they will all be gone in a few years. I share your love of old barns too.

I know of several I've shot over the last decade that are no longer with us - either fell down and ignored, or tore down and replaced with a "modern" sheet metal panel pole barn.

One suggestion might be to try to capture some of them at sunrise or sunset - I am aware that photographing private property can sometimes alarm rural owners too, especially when the light begins to fall. DAMHIK

@Stumblebum said:
    Oh damn, my count was messed up, I meant #5!! Hahaha!

I agree with Jim. Not just Barns, freaking Trees have bad habit of falling down and breaking away. I had such good comps and I go there I am so tormented by tree that is no more.

One more thing, back when I was climbing mountains, I left so many shots on the table thinking I would be back. Many years, injuries and pounds later, I am wondering what in the world was I thinking? Just hand held click would have done the job.

So yeah, keep on clicking!

Jim and Taz.....I sure appreciate the support from you two. Over the years, I've probably shot 500+ old farm structures.....houses, barns, you name it. Conservatively, I would guess at least 100 of them no longer exist. It's one of my life missions to record as many of them as I can. Barn wood scavengers are the latest hazard to set in on these things. After several dog chases and hollered threats, I am leery of shooting too early or late in the day. Even then it has gotten a little tense now and then. I believe in getting close to my subjects. Almost every barn shot I've ever made was with a 20-35 mm F 2.8 lens. That doesn't give me a lot of running room if I have to have it.

Taz... that #5 shot is one of my all-time personal favorites.

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator

I got yelled at by a lady who was certain I was photographing her farm - she missed the glorious sun setting up in the sky until I pointed it out to her - she was still annoyed that I was parked by the side of the road.. Sounds like you have had similar experiences.

Stay safe out there!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins

On one of my barn treks, I found that if the owner was around, asking, "I just love barns. Do you mind if I take a picture of your ______________________ barn?" (insert complementary adjective as needed). That seemed to stop the suspicious looks, hollers, etc. However, this won't work with dogs - might carry treats in your pocket and mini carrots for horses. :smiley:

BTW, great set of barns!

• Options
    edited June 19, 2020

@Cavalier said:
    On one of my barn treks, I found that if the owner was around, asking, "I just love barns. Do you mind if I take a picture of your ______________________ barn?" (insert complementary adjective as needed). That seemed to stop the suspicious looks, hollers, etc. However, this won't work with dogs - might carry treats in your pocket and mini carrots for horses. :smiley:

BTW, great set of barns!

Hi, Jo. Thanks for looking in. I don't want to give the wrong impression. I'm very respectful of people's properties. In the great majority of instances, particularly if the old barn is near an occupied home, I'll make an effort to establish contact with someone and get approval. Most of these old buildings, though, are fairly isolated with no clear indication of who might own them. Keep in mind that I'm usually deep in the Appalachian back woods and those folks are just naturally suspicious of anybody and anything. On one occasion, someone using some sort of megaphone ( I couldn't even tell where it was coming from ) hollered for me to get gone or get shot. I got gone.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom... a wonderful set of images!!

Would love to see a side-by-side seasonal set.

Same image say #5 (my favorite too) taken at the height of the fall foliage colors, after a gentle dusting of snow, with the green fuzz of spring and full foliage of summer (as shown). Could be a very interesting, eye catching set.

Sure envy you and the time you get to spend hunting down these treasures!

Carry on...for all of us who enjoy these structures in their natural state. 🙂

• Options

@El Gato said:
    Tom... a wonderful set of images!!

Would love to see a side-by-side seasonal set.

Same image say #5 (my favorite too) taken at the height of the fall foliage colors, after a gentle dusting of snow, with the green fuzz of spring and full foliage of summer (as shown). Could be a very interesting, eye catching set.

Sure envy you and the time you get to spend hunting down these treasures!

Carry on...for all of us who enjoy these structures in their natural state. 🙂

I hope you don't mind me saying so, but it means a tremendous amount to me to have such accomplished shooters, like yourself, comment favorably on some of my stuff. I think I'm going to make a project out of producing a seasonal set, as you suggest, of a worthy subject. Barn #5 is the likely candidate. Thank you very much for the inspiration. Take care.