Options

An Ode To Henry

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Henry was the name I called the old barn in this image. My first mountain house was about 1 mile further into the valley then this place that Henry called home. The old man that owned this " spread " was a very pleasant sort. Since I passed this place countless times over the years, I came to be friends with him and I would stop and chat with him when I could. He always made sure my wood bin was full when I was up there in the Winter. When I first met Henry, he was a healthy young stud proudly serving the needs of the old man and his family. The ensuing years, though, were hard on him. Old barns like Henry were never a paragon of construction excellence. An onslaught of years of heavy snow and damaging ice storms brought Henry to his knees. The last I heard, the old man let Henry fall to the wood scavengers that stalk the mountains looking for victims.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

An apropos eulogy befitting a once distinguished structure.

• Options

@El Gato said:
    An apropos eulogy befitting a once distinguished structure.

You know, I guess because I spend so much time dealing with these subjects, I truly feel sadness when any one of my favorites bites the dust. Maybe it's just the passing of an era that pains me.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2020

Sweet and Wonderful story Tom! Love it! You write very well! Put a book out on barns!! Images and stories!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Sweet and Wonderful story Tom! Love it! You write very well! Put a book out on barns!! Images and stories!

Many thanks, Taz, for your continued support and encouragement.