Options

Journal Questions

FreeheelvrmntFreeheelvrmnt Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins

Hello -

I've been using the Journal layout to display a series of photos I've been taking around my town during the pandemic.

https://www.benjamindbloom.com/History/COVID-19-Pandemic/

For those folks who follow me regularly, it's nice to have the most recent photos sorted first so they can scroll down until they see a familiar photo. For those that have never visited the page before, it would be nice for them to be able to start at the beginning and scroll through to the present. Is there a way to let the user toggle an ascending/descending sort option?

Additionally, I would like to show the date and time below each photo. Are there any options other than adding that information to the title or caption fields? If it's not possible to display image metadata through SmugMug, I'm open to a solution to append/prepend that info to a caption in Lightroom (a batch script or something)

Thanks,
-Ben

Comments

• Options
    JenuineJenuine Registered Users Posts: 155 SmugMug Employee

Hello,

If the image contains the metadata of the date and time it can be displayed on the image details. Then with that information in tact on the images they can in fact be sorted to have the latest be first. If you have specific Galleries where you would like this to occur and it isn't, reach out to the Support Heroes, help@smugmug.com with the details and Galleries links.

Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options

Right.... I understand that I can configure the sort when I set up the gallery. That's working fine.

Is there a way for the end-user (my customer browsing my website) to dynamically toggle this sort between ascending and descending?

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator

@Freeheelvrmnt said:
    Is there a way for the end-user (my customer browsing my website) to dynamically toggle this sort between ascending and descending?

No. The sort direction is only available in gallery settings, it can't be changed by the viewer.

You could consider a second gallery that is based on the photos in the first gallery but sorted in a different direction.
    https://help.smugmug.com/display-a-photo-in-multiple-galleries-ryaGgev1EBM

• Options

Bummer that this isn't a native option.

Good suggestion for a workaround. I may build a mirrored page or smart gallery with the opposite sort.