Snails, etc at the Botanic Garden

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

OK, Tom @black mamba you made me feel guilty so I'll post a few shots of last week's visit to our botanic gardens. I wouldn't necessarily classify these as "Cool Shots" but I'm not sure what other category they fit in. :-)

1) selfie

2) I saw quite a few snails...

3) snail 2

4) snail3

5) for the rust-lovers, a rusted pine cone (our city symbol)

6) rosebud

7) I caught an employee taking a shot of their covid mascot for their instagram page (botanicusaux)

Tagged:

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Now, that's what I'm talking about. Here's some imagination and creativity at work, along with a whole bunch of shooter's skills. Thanks so much, Sara.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

You're very welcome, Tom!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2020

Wonderful Sarah!

The #4 is epic to me! I already loved it without knowing what was going on, but the title made me look for the snail and then I fell in love with it MORE. I think I would try to play with it so the eye is drawn to snail. If the cement portion can be darkened enough, and snail is tad brightened, then the tunnel + snail is epic epic poster!

I also like #3 very much. I don't see need for the green band above. It's kind of not matching rest of the image. A simple crop can solve that problem.

Same goes for #2 where the busy side strips of green are taking away from wonderful main subject and also a snail is hiding there as well. Another crop that cuts into stone would solve that too. It would look like bird is thinking about chowing down on the snail. My title would be "Hangry Birds".

With both crops, details become more noticeable and enjoyable.

JMO! Keep em coming!

Taz, as usual I appreciate your comments. Always nice to have another pair of critical eyes.

@Stumblebum said:
    The #4 is epic to me! I already loved it without knowing what was going on, but the title made me look for the snail and then I fell in love with it MORE. I think I would try to play with it so the eye is drawn to snail. If the cement portion can be darkened enough, and snail is tad brightened, then the tunnel + snail is epic epic poster!

OK, here's another go at #4 with a very slightly different crop and a couple of develop tricks to hopefully bring out the snail a bit more.

I also like #3 very much. I don't see need for the green band above. It's kind of not matching rest of the image. A simple crop can solve that problem.

Although I don't dislike the green band as much as you (I find it helps add depth and dimension) I did tone it down a bit and cropped much but not all of it out.

Same goes for #2 where the busy side strips of green are taking away from wonderful main subject and also a snail is hiding there as well. Another crop that cuts into stone would solve that too. It would look like bird is thinking about chowing down on the snail. My title would be "Hangry Birds".

For #2 I tried different crops and toned down the background and ended up with this variation, wich I'm not totally in love with.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I much prefer the originals of # 2 and # 3.
    I think both originals are more pleasing as an image than the cropped replacements.

Thanks Denise, I think I'm with you. Especially in #2, the snail ends up in a different place in the photo and the eye doesn't find it as easily.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Sara...

Very well done! I prefer the originals. The gnome is great, even if just for the comic relief.

Looks like you had a good outing at the Botanical Gardens. Thanks for sharing these!!

edited June 23, 2020

@El Gato Hey Gato thanks for the feedback. Indeed, I always have a good time at the botanic gardens. This time I ended up with fewer traditional flower shots and more snails and sculptures. A nice change.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Great rework Sarah! For snail shot, there is still room to take quarter inch off! You have sharp details so no fear! Also the bird-snail shot, the last one....I would cut into stone a tad but yeah, bg is much suppressed now which is really good!
    Great find and great captures!
    Unique, don't see this frequently if at all!
    Cheers!