Options

Bonaventure Cemetery

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited July 1, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

I keep hyping this place in Savannah. If you get to the city, this is a " must go to " place. I'm including this shot....mediocre ....simply to make a couple of points.

This is a good example of the " art work " that's a part of this monument. There's comparable works all over the place. It's a great opportunity to see some wonderful stuff in a not-to-common setting. And you can go at your own pace.

This depicts a very typical problem. Look at that mottled lighting. Those " stabs " of light jump up out of nowhere. And if you get the main subject in even light, the area 15 feet to the right is all blown out. It's a real tough environment to shoot in under bight clear skies and very few clouds. Ironic, isn't it? Most days like that would be premium. A mass of low-level clouds presents a mixed bag.....may give you even lighting but not the kind you want. Some high clouds that provide even lighting over large swaths work the best. These overall conditions are certainly not unique to this place and experienced shooters know how to minimize the difficulties. I only bring all of this up in case you plan a trip to Savannah and want to visit Bonaventure. It will help if you're toting your A game.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2020

Sweet capture Tom! Oh God was kind to you and you caught the right light at right time in right spot!
    You got just enough light on the face and it is naturally surrounded by darkness that eye is going STRAIGHT to the face and staying there.
    If you want you can brush it over and make the face tad brighter but that is not necessary.
    And you ended up with this sweet spot light creating a wonderful silhouette! inside a bright circle!
    Beautiful moving shot!

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Thanks for the tips. I will be sure to keep this in mind. Looks like you got all of the pieces to "fit" in this shot. It is well done.

The locale certainly presents some challenges, thus coming home with a "keeper" is all that more sweet.

Would you think either an ND or polarizer filter would help to even out the light on days as you described?

The foliage, as you say, looks to present a challenge as well.

Would really like to try my IR camera and see what I might come away with. I'm making my list..itching to go even more now.

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

@El Gato said:
    Tom...

Thanks for the tips. I will be sure to keep this in mind. Looks like you got all of the pieces to "fit" in this shot. It is well done.

The locale certainly presents some challenges, thus coming home with a "keeper" is all that more sweet.

Would you think either an ND or polarizer filter would help to even out the light on days as you described?

The foliage, as you say, looks to present a challenge as well.

Would really like to try my IR camera and see what I might come away with. I'm making my list..itching to go even more now.

I have a circular polarizer on my lens virtually 100% of the time. If I need it, it's there.....if I don't need it, it can be rendered unnoticeable in its presence. Obviously, any ancillary lens needs to be of the highest quality you can get.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.