I thought I heard screams......

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited June 29, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

....and what the heck is that oozing through the wall? You do know that Savannah is the voodoo capital of the U.S., don't you? True story.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

It must be all the old past spirits trying to escape from being sealed within the walls!

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

The darks are really fantastic and it screams spooky. The "blue" feels out of place as well as out of character to me. I would consider desaturating blue. Also why not try b&w as well. Superb find Tom!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@OrvSal said:
    It must be all the old past spirits trying to escape from being sealed within the walls!

Hi, Orv. I don't know if you and your wife have ever been to Savannah, but you need to go there. It's a photographer's heaven.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited June 29, 2020

@Stumblebum said:
    The darks are really fantastic and it screams spooky. The "blue" feels out of place as well as out of character to me. I would consider desaturating blue. Also why not try b&w as well. Superb find Tom!

Many thanks for your comments, brother. I just zapped the blue sidewalk....I'm just used to Savannah. It's crawling with visual dichotomies. I think the change is better, though. However, to me, B&W is a bust on this one. It loses way too much visual dynamics.

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

We have been to Savanna and Tybe Island once and plan to return this summer. I love the river front area after dark.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com

@OrvSal said:
    We have been to Savanna and Tybe Island once and plan to return this summer. I love the river front area after dark.

I'm with you about the river front area. Several other offerings of the city are particularly attractive to me....the prevailing and pervasive architectural styles, outstanding art galleries, and the place is an absolute culinary delight.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

That would work! Cheers Tom!

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Nice work Tom!

You put Savanna and the GA islands on my list.

I have relatives in GA, so maybe when traveling is safer and back in vogue again, there will be an added incentive to making the trip.

@El Gato said:
    Nice work Tom!

You put Savanna and the GA islands on my list.

I have relatives in GA, so maybe when traveling is safer and back in vogue again, there will be an added incentive to making the trip.

I tell you, my friend, Savannah is made for you. You could spend a week there and not run out of subjects that will light your fire. They have a graveyard there...the Bonaventure....that's situated on some stunning property with bluffs overlooking vast marsh scenes. Lots of noted personalities ....including Civil War officers....are interned there. Johnny Mercer, the famous song writer and Savannah's own son is there. The place frustrates the heck out of me though. The proliferation of large oak trees, dripping in massive gobs of moss, along with stabs of sunlight drifting in, make for a color shooter's nightmare. The pronounced mottled light is tough for me to deal with. But you, with you skills at B&W, will relish the place. It has the most marvelous array of monuments to the dead that I've ever seen in one place. A number of scenes from the movie " Midnight In The Garden of Good And Evil " were shot there.

I have the most fantastic story of an occurrence there that happened to my wife and I on one of my visits. But it's a lengthy story and one best recounted over drinks in a bar.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Well..that cements it Tom..Savannah is on the list!

Once traveling becomes a bit more feasible, I think a road trip is in order.

Save that story...it sounds like it will be a perfect "opening" to a chapter in your book! 😃 Although I wouldn't mind savoring a good dram while listening to you tell it!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

That looks like one of the many vaults under Factors Walk. Is it? Or something else just as old and just as interesting? I could fill a card easily in Savannah. In fact, I have. The cemetery I've been to there was a large one in the center of the city, about 8 blocks in from River Road. We walked around it for at least an hour gazing at history and shooting gobs of photos.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

@El Gato said:
    Well..that cements it Tom..Savannah is on the list!

Once traveling becomes a bit more feasible, I think a road trip is in order.

Save that story...it sounds like it will be a perfect "opening" to a chapter in your book! 😃 Although I wouldn't mind savoring a good dram while listening to you tell it!

I have to tell you, buddy, that the story is not quite suitable for printing. The third party to the story, aside from my wife and I, employs a tremendous array of foul language. None of which is directed at us, but serves well his response to the situation. I even have to be choosy as to the setting and the folks around when I recount the story verbally. The inclusion of the foul language and some brief rage exhibited by that third party is central to the story. Without either of those elements, the story loses some punch and flavor. I warn people that in telling this story there's a lot of verbal garbage going to come out of my mouth. It just has to be that way.

@David_S85 said:
    That looks like one of the many vaults under Factors Walk. Is it? Or something else just as old and just as interesting? I could fill a card easily in Savannah. In fact, I have. The cemetery I've been to there was a large one in the center of the city, about 8 blocks in from River Road. We walked around it for at least an hour gazing at history and shooting gobs of photos.

You nailed that location, David. I've also visited the cemetery you mention. Bonaventure is a fair trek from the river front area, but not hard to get to.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Nice! I really like this types of image.
    I met a guy a few years back, Craig Tanner, musician and photographer. He was living in Savannah, and leading photo workshops in Savannah, and around the country.

P

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

@roaddog52 said:
    Nice! I really like this types of image.
    I met a guy a few years back, Craig Tanner, musician and photographer. He was living in Savannah, and leading photo workshops in Savannah, and around the country.

P

Thanks, Phil. I believe I've heard of Tanner. Not sure of that though.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Great shot Tom!

@Juano said:
    Great shot Tom!

Thanks, my friend. I hope things are going well for you.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Terrific shot. I like the blue. It contributes to an impressionistic vibe in this one.

@Cornflake said:
    Terrific shot. I like the blue. It contributes to an impressionistic vibe in this one.

In my first post of this image, there was a rather bright blue sidewalk that ran right in front of the wall and the opening to the inside. Taz thought the blue sidewalk was an incongruity to the image....sort of like a distraction that didn't fit. It didn't bother me because I've come to accept that Savannah is a huge ball of incongruities and contradictions anyway. So I reposted the image minus the sidewalk.....just cropped it out. I do like it better as it is now.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Oh. Never mind. :)