A whole herd of Ferrari 250 GTO's

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited July 9, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

The Ferrari 250 GTO was produced from 1962 thru 1964. Only 36 of them were made. It quickly became the penultimate GT racer of its time. The storied victories for the car just kept pilling up.

If you go to any high-end show and they have one, rarely two, of these cars on display....well, count yourself lucky. There may never be another gathering of these cars to match what you will see here. It's truly extraordinary to see this many at any world-class event.

This car was the accepted prototype of the GTO. Following iterations had some significant body changes....namely the treatment of the rear end styling. The " chopped off " rear end was more efficient and stable at high speeds.

1 )

2 )

You'll notice slight variations ( mostly in cooling ducts ) among the following cars. This broad shot shows the bulk of those on show. I shudder to think of the cumulative dollar value of those seen in this shot. More about that later.

3 )

Now feast your eyes on a collective sight of automotive excellence.

4 )

5 )

6 )

7 )

8 )

9 )

10 )

11 )

12 )

Note the totally different rear roof on this one.

13 )

I mentioned earlier the collective value of what you see here. In 2018, one of the GTO's sold at a private sale for the documented staggering sum of .....no joke...$.70,000,000.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Ah, Bizzarrini!
    Splendid and spectacular!
    I do wish that the owners could have opened the hoods. The cluster of venturi tubes on top of the Weber carburetors is rather like a crown, worthy of the legendary 250 series.
    Thanks so much for this set of gorgeous images, Tom. Brings back fond memories.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2020

I always appreciate you dropping by, Ziggy. This shot below is about as close as I got to getting the engine view you speak of. I agree with you.....there's not a true car guy around that doesn't get weak-kneed when he's standing there, staring at that jewel. Just as I made this shot, another swarm of folks stormed that car. It was the only one that ever had its hood open. I moved on.

I had a 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB. It had a V-8 with 4 carbs. You had to know what you were doing to get all 4 of those things synced. Thank goodness, I knew a Ferrari wizard. I would imagine that the 6 carbs on the GTO were even more demanding.....certainly very time consuming.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow look like toy cars! Wonderful art pieces!

@Stumblebum said:
    Wow look like toy cars! Wonderful art pieces!

You're right, Taz. That guy that paid 70 million bucks for one of these cars is, I'm sure, much happier taking this investment out for a spin as opposed to staring at a Rembrandt hanging on a wall. BTW...that blue # 112 car is thought to be the only car ever raced by a Ferrari factory team that wasn't painted red. Take care, my friend.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Beautiful machines...great images!!

Thanks, my friend.