Options

Another herd......but American iron this time

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

I usually try and give a brief background to the cars I feature. But the car this time, the Ford GT 40 , really doesn't need it. Every car guy knows the story by heart and those who aren't car guys ( or gals ) probably don't care. There was a good movie last year, "Ford V Ferrari ", that gave a fairly accurate accounting of the development of the car and its race history. There are enough books out there about this car to fill up a swimming pool.

1 )

2 )

3 )

4 )

5 )

6 )

7 )

8 )

9 )

10 )

They made 4 GT40s in a roadster configuration. One got destroyed, one became just a parts car, and one vanished. Parts unknown. This one had a good race history and is the only one around.

11 )

12 )

13 )

14 )

15 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Number 2 and Number 7 rock Tom! Cheers!

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator

@black mamba said:
    They made 4 GT40s in a roadster configuration. One got destroyed, one became just a parts car, and one vanished. Parts unknown. This one had a good race history and is the only one around.

Did not know that history. Thanks, Tom!

Also thanks for the engine/transaxle images. I love that technology.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Number 2 and Number 7 rock Tom! Cheers!

Thanks, Taz. Take care.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

@ziggy53 said:

@black mamba said:

Did not know that history. Thanks, Tom!

Also thanks for the engine/transaxle images. I love that technology.

Like you, Ziggy, I appreciate the mechanics of a car. When it comes to personal preferences, though, I'd much rather lay eyes on the engine and its setup that's in the Ferrari GTO as opposed to the GT 40.

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator

@black mamba said:

Like you, Ziggy, I appreciate the mechanics of a car. When it comes to personal preferences, though, I'd much rather lay eyes on the engine and its setup that's in the Ferrari GTO as opposed to the GT 40.

I agree; the Ferrari GTO motor and drivetrain are like fine jewels and easy on the eyes.

However, the title of this thread is, "Another herd......but American iron this time" (emphasis mine).

In particular I see what appears to be the use of exhaust acoustic resonance to assist in reverse loading the air/fuel back into each cylinder. This had the added benefit of extra turbulence in the combustion chamber for better air/fuel combustion. I think this tuned exhaust technology first appeared in aviation piston engines, but makes perfect sense in boosting the engine performance of racing-specific engines to extend the upper power band. Not particularly pretty to look at but looking at the improved performance along with minimal impact on engine durability and reliability (no extra mechanical moving parts) has a certain function-over-form appeal.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2020

@ziggy53 said:

@black mamba said:

I agree; the Ferrari GTO motor and drivetrain are like fine jewels and easy on the eyes.

However, the title of this thread is, "Another herd......but American iron this time" (emphasis mine).

In particular I see what appears to be the use of exhaust acoustic resonance to assist in reverse loading the air/fuel back into each cylinder. This had the added benefit of extra turbulence in the combustion chamber for better air/fuel combustion. I think this tuned exhaust technology first appeared in aviation piston engines, but makes perfect sense in boosting the engine performance of racing-specific engines to extend the upper power band. Not particularly pretty to look at but looking at the improved performance along with minimal impact on engine durability and reliability (no extra mechanical moving parts) has a certain function-over-form appeal.

Beyond the simple understanding that the purpose of any exhaust system is to balance the velocity and flow characteristics to best suit your goals, my grasp of the specifics behind acoustic resonance engineering begins to rapidly fade. I was once told by someone who works in that realm that the process can be frustrating as your desired goals can be very elusive because you're constantly having to deal with moving targets.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Great cars and shots!

• Options

@Juano said:
    Great cars and shots!

It's really great to hear from you, Cristóbal. I hope things are going well for you.