Mini Challenge #302 Presenting Food

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
edited July 14, 2020 in The Dgrin Challenges

This challenge is about food presentation - pictures of dishes of food that is ready to eat. Or even partly eaten. Even during lock-down, everyone has to eat. Meat, vegetables, bread, fruit, soup, dessert, snacks. The photos should make everyone hungry. I have been taking photos of food for some years. It is almost as much fun as eating it.:)
White chocolate creme brulee

Cold Gazpacho with celery garnish

Roast Chicken from a roadside stand in St. Croix

NY style Pastrami sandwich

Bread basket

Escargot in melted garlic herb butter

Because I'm not cooking much anymore, most of my photos are taken in restaurants, but home cooking is great

The mini will run until 31 July, 2020.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used, but for this challenge new photo's are strongly encouraged.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next show.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 14, 2020

This thread will make me hungry every time I come in! Here is my 3, all dishes I make. I might change out if something better comes along during the time frame of the challenge.

1 Simple bbq chicken salad complete with sliced pear and hard boiled egg

2 Smoked Pork shoulder roast on grilled flour tortillas with cheese and hot sauce

3 Chicken cacciatore pizza on homemade crust. (amazing what you can do with leftovers)

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Looks like you are a great cook - I'm almost sorry that I'm not cooking anymore.

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins

Love food! Unfortunately I don't have many photos of food.

Yum

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2020

Here are a few shots from me, coincidentally all from various trips to France. I'll start in menu order

1) Appetizer: Foie Gras and canteloupe sauteed in balsamico. OMG, one of the most divine things I've ever eaten (but of course you have to like foie gras). In the heart of Perigord (duck and foie gras country) in Sarlat, France

2) Main course: on our bike tours we often picnic for lunch or dinner, always accompanied by my trusty Swiss Army knife serving as bottle opener and all-purpose slicer, our ziploc bag of salt and pepper mix and my lightweight (ugly) orange sport towel as picnic blanket. We have learned not to drink wine at our midday picnics - that ends in not wanting to get back on the bicycles... This picnic was along the Loire at Langeais.

3) Dessert: This sublime dish was all about raspberries. Fabulous texture and flavor combination! It was the crowning glory of a wonderful 3 course dinner in La Reole, France.

edited July 17, 2020

Hooray for France and French food. Come to think of it - I don't think I've ever had Foie Gras. I like frog legs and snails and caviar though.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2020

What a mouth watering theme and photo's :)

Here's my three entries:

1) Home made starter for our Christmas dinner:

2) Main course in a restaurant

And as a third something completely different, but also good food:
    3) Apples from our own trees "ready to bite"

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

This mini ends tomorrow - there are only four entries. Maybe I made it too short. It can't be that people are away on vacation :(

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins

With things the way they are can't afford or can't stand in line long enough to get a shot :)

Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited July 30, 2020

I have been taking photos of my food for over 15 years - whenever I eat out, even at a fast food place. I thought that they might have photos from the past to use. I forgot that not everyone considers food something to take photos of. Too ordinary I guess. Or maybe they were too shy to be seen taking photos in a restaurant. It takes practice (or at least it took me some time to get reasonably good at it) - Maybe it would have been a good topic for Out Of My Comfort Zone.

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

actually, things have been a little quieter around here anyway. Could be that most people do not take photos of their food too, but it is a good theme we haven't had before.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited August 1, 2020

I keep looking for photos for the recent minis and then have other things come up that push it to the back burner. But we have had some great themes for the minis, and this is one of them! Thank you for running it!

Thank you two for reassuring me about the theme. I will close the mini tonight and put the winners up tomorrow

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

Here are a couple from me, but please don't judge as entries. Most of my photos of food are taken with a cell phone, and I am having trouble accessing them just now. But I will contribute two for fun. Maybe a third if I have time later.

1. Seen in France

2. Banana Pecan Muffins ("healthy" comfort food during the pandemic)

Thank you

Mini is closed

@grandmaR You are welcome. And to answer your question in the results thread, yes, I believe those are purple artichokes. I loved seeing the variety of produce in France!

FYI - One of my issues sharing photos of food (that were taken on my phone) is finding that they were HEIF files with an HEIC file extension. I still need to explore converting them to jpgs effectively.

Thanks again, for offering us another fun mini!