One more Mabry Mill shot

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited July 15, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

Nothing really unusual here, except that all the action is on the other side....what with the waterwheel and all. Consequently, you don't see many shots of this side. But that's a moot point in this case because the subjects here are those huge stone grinding wheels by the walkway.

I'm not sure of the current market, but several years ago those massive things commanded big bucks, if you could find them. It became " the thing " to have incorporated into your landscape somewhere if you had one of those large estate homes sprinkled all over the mountains. The demand went through the roof. I saw a few that a dealer had that were 4 to 5 thousand bucks each. He knew of some really prime stones that had sold for $10,000. I mean, how big can that market be, but then the supply is severely limited. William Shatner has one, so you know it's got to be the sheik thing to do.

AND.......In an effort to head off at the pass some of what I know is coming.....

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Black and white working for me Tom! Always appreciate the knowledge drop as well! Cheers!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Black and white working for me Tom! Always appreciate the knowledge drop as well! Cheers!

Thanks, buddy. Stay safe.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I alos like the b&w one - the wider angle works better for me.

@sarasphotos said:
    I alos like the b&w one - the wider angle works better for me.

I'm with you there, Sara. Actually, both shots were cropped a fair amount. I wanted to emphasize the stones as much as I could without fracturing the mill building. I have a closeup of the stones, but it's on another card which I can't find......yet. Take care.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Very nice, Tom! I really like the black & white version. I've been up to the Mill a few times to shoot, it's a really neat place. I was up there once for a night shoot and got more than I bargained for thanks to a deer, but at least it happened after I finished shooting!

Hey, John. I'm amazed that I haven't hit a deer up there considering how much time I spend up in those mountains. I've had three close misses though, one of which gave me a new dose of religion.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Nice images Tom.

Due to my leanings, the B&W shot is spot on. Well done!

@El Gato said:
    Nice images Tom.

Due to my leanings, the B&W shot is spot on. Well done!

Thanks, Gato. I'm still trying to polish up my B&W work. It was your urging, plus a little from Taz, that prompted me to even mess with B&W., seeing as how color conscious I am.