Options

Old Bahns

willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
edited July 22, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

These bahns feature ceramic silos which is the reason I fotoed them. In the campo, rural NY

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2020

Ceramic silo? Why?

Nice shots ....

Rags
  • Options

My Engineer's instincts tell me ceramic tile will last longer than and resist waterlogging better than wood, Rags. Farmers agreed

From the web:
    Silo Tile is also a hollow structural terra cotta product used for constructing round towers. The individual blocks are quite thin as compared to the other building tiles - usually 6 inches or less. The are also slightly curved.
    They were a significant improvement over the wood stave silos, but there were concerns that silage wouldn't keep as well. This appears to be unfounded as stone silos had been in use since at least the 18th century.

The hollow tiles used for silos were vitrified or glazed. This reduces the absorbtion of water, eliminating the need for a cement coating. Salt glaze was used for a period, which made the tiles even more impervious, but it resulted in a weaker structure.
    There are many, many surviving tile silos that are quite well preserved and more pleasing to look at than steel or concrete silos.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Beautiful! I have never seen this type of silo before.

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

@Juano said:
    Beautiful! I have never seen this type of silo before.

Me neither...

I though it was because some grain when sitting can produce heat; but weathering is a better use....

Rags
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Very nice!!

I like both images, although #2 resonates more for me and has an appealing presentation. Almost looks as if it could have been an HDR shot.

Both are great however! Thanks for posting these and a bit of background on the tile use in their construction.

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

I like these a lot. I've seen shots of these type silos, but I've never seen one. I wonder if there's a regional difference that might influence one to use these ceramic tiles. I've seen literally hundreds of old barns and silos throughout the Appalachians. I can't remember ever seeing one.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Superb Willard!

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator

These are wonderful! Those vines make the shot in the second barn.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2020

Nobody has noticed the pigeons on the roof of the second bahn. (neither did I until it was processed)

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins

Ooh, very cool. Never seen a ceramic silo before. I too am especially fond of the 2nd shot.