Comet NEOWISE

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited July 21, 2020 in Landscapes

Hi all,

I have been chasing the comet for the past few days. The weather here in Southern Utah is so iffy - I would arrive at the locations with clear skies, but then a few hours later, it would be overcast. On Saturday, I finally managed to get a photo of the comet. After shooting the comet on Saturday, I wanted to take one more shot of the comet, but with perspective - the prior shot was in the same vertical plane. So despite being up all night, for the past 5 nights (three of which were ruined by clouds at night), with only 4 hours of sleep daily, I drove the 130 miles back to the hoodoos to try and find a composition that might work, giving me the perspective I desired. I finally found this shot, was super happy and waited for the comet to show up at night. The comet did show up, but so did the clouds - I was really worried about the clouds again covering up the comet and ruining my shot. But I think the cloud gods took pity on me and the clouds actually stood still until I finished taking my shots. I am finally happy with my NEOWISE composition as I really wanted to highlight Utah's beauty, with the comet in the background.

Cheers,

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

I love #2... great shot well exposed...

Rags
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 21, 2020

Stunning! Any way to very slightly bring out more of the foreground?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2020

@torags said:
    I love #2... great shot well exposed...

Thanks Rags. :smile:

@David_S85 said:

Thanks David and I sure can - which image are you referring to though? The first or the second one?

Cheers,

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow is the only word! You got it!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 21, 2020

@David_S85 said:

Thanks David and I sure can - which image are you referring to though? The first or the second one?
    Cheers,

Well, both, actually. It took my eyes a moment to realize what I was looking at besides Neowise and the sky. I knew it was the ground, but it wasn't obvious for a second or two what landforms it was. And when I mention a very little bit of brightness increase of foreground, I'm talking very low single digit increase, just to gain a smidgen more attention span on the foreground, maybe moreso on the first.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Awesome, Nikhil. Your perseverance paid off for these lifetime keepers. I do agree with David though. I would prefer that spectacular foreground to be more visible. It's a subjective call of course. Torags and Stumblebum apparently like them the way they are so that says a lot too.

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

@David_S85 said:

@David_S85 said:

Cheers,

Well, both, actually. It took my eyes a moment to realize what I was looking at besides Neowise and the sky. I knew it was the ground, but it wasn't obvious for a second or two what landforms it was. And when I mention a very little bit of brightness increase of foreground, I'm talking very low single digit increase, just to gain a smidgen more attention span on the foreground, maybe moreso on the first.

@kdog said:
    Awesome, Nikhil. Your perseverance paid off for these lifetime keepers. I do agree with David though. I would prefer that spectacular foreground to be more visible. It's a subjective call of course. Torags and Stumblebum apparently like them the way they are so that says a lot too.

Thanks Joel and David - I will play with the foreground a little to see if it looks better lightened (a little more). I don't want to lose the night effect, so will proceed with caution. I am so glad I went, because it is forecast to be cloudy the next few days (and then who knows if NEOWISE will be around). :smiley:

Cheers,

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Great captures!! Very well done.

About a brighter foreground - I think folks who haven't chased the comet may be more inclined to want the foreground brighter, but I suspect those who have been out at night, know that the comet is really not that bright unless it is really dark out in the landscape. I know kdog wanted the fg a bit brighter, but I think much more brightness will begin to look artificial. JMO As kdog said, it is the artist's call.

Solar afterglow or strong moonlight kills the comets apparent brightness. At least that's been my impression here in the humid air of the mid West.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • GerritGerrit Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    Wow, these are really great shots, made possible by spending so much time waiting for the right moment.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins

Wow. that is amazing! Really good work.