Old barns and truck

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

1 )

2 )

3 )

4 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

Very nice find ,don't think that barn is too stable tho.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

The truck is great, love the combination of decay, both rust and plants.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@OrvSal said:
    Very nice find ,don't think that barn is too stable tho.

Hi, Orv, thanks for looking in.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 1, 2020

@denisegoldberg said:

I'm proud to have you visit, Denise. I shot multiple closeups of certain features of that truck. I'm certain that there will be candidates for the application of my rust elixir....in the hopes of ending up with something dramatic.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Very nice set Tom!!

The colors "pop" and the location is great.

Personal bias....#4 could be a winner in B+W too! Look forward to seeing the application of your rust elixir.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Numbers 2-4 are fantastic Tom!!

edited August 2, 2020

@El Gato said:
    Very nice set Tom!!

The colors "pop" and the location is great.

Personal bias....#4 could be a winner in B+W too! Look forward to seeing the application of your rust elixir.

Thanks for the comments. I'll take a look at doing a B&W version of the truck. Keep in mind that B&W is not my strong suit. Stay safe.

@Stumblebum said:
    Numbers 2-4 are fantastic Tom!!

Many thanks, my friend.

edited August 3, 2020

Here you go, Gato. I have a new appreciation for the role B&W can play in our game. In a few occasions, it has absolutely saved the day for me. But, honestly, in my opinion, rust and B&W don't make for the greatest of playmates.....the varied nuances of a rusty surface get lost if not shot in color. Now if the rusty subject is not the main focus of the shot and is just just another player in the scene, then my position softens a bit.

Love B&W Tom, especially for this subject! It might be little work, but eye goes to brightest area first and that is the sky behind truck. If mine I would try to darken that area if possible and brighten truck little bit.....basically put emphasis away from sky and put it on truck. JMO. Cheers Tom!

@Stumblebum said:
    Love B&W Tom, especially for this subject! It might be little work, but eye goes to brightest area first and that is the sky behind truck. If mine I would try to darken that area if possible and brighten truck little bit.....basically put emphasis away from sky and put it on truck. JMO. Cheers Tom!

I couldn't agree with you more, Taz. This is where I get bitten by my limited PP skills. It's unfortunate that this shot has such a pronounced difference in lighter and darker areas. I don't know how to effectively darken one large area and, at the same time. lighten another large area that butt up to each other.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:

I agree!

Thanks, Cristóbal.

Taz, I adjusted the B&W photo posted above. Better?

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

I would stick to the color version.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Terrific, Tom!

@Juano said:
    I would stick to the color version.

You and I both. To me, that shot just demands color.....it loses too much impact in B&W. I think I'd feel that way even if I could produce an outstanding B&W image.

@Cornflake said:
    Terrific, Tom!

Many thanks, Don.

Yes Tom, it looks like an old photo. It is wonderful and eye is not getting pulled by super bright area anymore! It is brilliant!
    Indeed original color versions for 2-4 are fantastic.
    However, whatever you did to the monochrome version is is special now! Enjoying it very much!~

@Stumblebum said:
    Yes Tom, it looks like an old photo. It is wonderful and eye is not getting pulled by super bright area anymore! It is brilliant!
    Indeed original color versions for 2-4 are fantastic.
    However, whatever you did to the monochrome version is is special now! Enjoying it very much!~

I can't tell you, Taz, how much your encouragement in working with B&W means to me. I'm beginning to believe that one has to adopt a different mind-set in order to produce good B&W work. I've already accepted the fact that there are occasions where working in B&W can be the salvation in an otherwise frustrating episode. At the very least, I'm much more open to, and embracing of, the dynamics of monochrome work. I'll always be a dyed-in-the-wool color shooter. But I have no doubt that in becoming more proficient at B&W work, I will end up being a more well rounded photographer..

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

I was hopin' to see the truck in the rust thread, Tom. Very nice.

I'm always surprised how long bahns hold up with no wahk.
    Fahmah wouldn't have put the hay or tractah in the bahn if it was fallin' down

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
    edited August 4, 2020

That old truck is going to be the proud father of several offspring worthy of showing to all you fellow Rust Junkies.

I hear you about the old barns. But I'm way more surprised by the number of folks that continue to use them when the structure was declared dead a long time ago. Now, in the case here, with the tractor inside......I agree with you. The one with the hay and old wagon was built in the mid 1800's. It's weathered to hell and back but inside it's a sound structure. The thrust of my observations are directed at the structures that seem to be defying the laws of gravity....and they're still being used.

I stopped once at an old farmhouse to seek permission to shoot a falling-down barn about 100 feet from the house.An affable old man was sitting on the porch. I had a nice chat with him. He volunteered to walk me over to the barn, said I was welcome to go in. I am dead serious, I would not have gone in for $100. Now, for $500 I might have done it if I was allowed to run wide-open from one end to the other....about 40 feet....and hoping all the time to make it before it all came down. I've seen cases where at least half of the barn has already collapsed but still in use. Amazing to me.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Nice set Tom. I'm looking forward to a Rust Junkie version of the old Dodge.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited August 5, 2020

@roaddog52 said:
    Nice set Tom. I'm looking forward to a Rust Junkie version of the old Dodge.

Thanks, Phil. I'm telling you, if I can't wring a few killer Rust Junkie shots out of that old truck....well, shame on me. Take care.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I really love that truck Tom.

@sarasphotos said:
    I really love that truck Tom.

You know, Sara, folks like you and I tend to be attracted to anything with wheels. Stumbling across an old truck like this, with who knows how many stories it could tell, really makes all my efforts in hunting them down worthwhile. Take care.

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

I told you I wanted an old truck, but that's a bit extreme . . . and for me the BW version doesn't do justice to the rust or old paint. I always love your stories about your barn hunts. A lot of old barns in Maine are still in use too, and some don't look much better than the ones you find. Very interesting up there too, the way the barns are often across the road from the house and mere feet from the side of the road.

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 14, 2020

I tell you, Lauren, you and I have always pretty much seen things in the same light. Like I told a couple of the guys, if rust is the primary subject, it's best to forget about B&W.....they just don't play well together.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Here you go, Gato. I have a new appreciation for the role B&W can play in our game. In a few occasions, it has absolutely saved the day for me. But, honestly, in my opinion, rust and B&W don't make for the greatest of playmates.....the varied nuances of a rusty surface get lost if not shot in color. Now if the rusty subject is not the main focus of the shot and is just just another player in the scene, then my position softens a bit.

>

Tom...

Thanks for venturing into the BW zone and for sharing this.

Still like the BW rendering, maybe playing around a bit more with the blacks. To me this image looks a tad bit closer to sepia than BW.

That said, keep sharing the color images, they are magical!!

edited August 14, 2020

@El Gato said:

@black mamba said:

>

Tom...

Thanks for venturing into the BW zone and for sharing this.

Still like the BW rendering, maybe playing around a bit more with the blacks. To me this image looks a tad bit closer to sepia than BW.

That said, keep sharing the color images, they are magical!!

Thanks, my friend, for your comments. As you know, I'm still feeling my way with this B&W stuff. Your observation about the sepia look is spot on. It was intentional. I tried to match the look of the image to the perceived age of the truck.....old, as if you had discovered the photo in an old forgotten chest. Take care.