A little box canyon

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Last week I hiked to a small box canyon in northern Arizona that I hadn't visited before. There are a lot of petroglyphs there (as is evident from the first two shots) but I really liked the rock walls. Criticism is always welcome.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Very interesting shoits, Don. # 3 and 4 tell a story of survival. I like the closeup of #4 but #3 emphasizes the isolation better. Good work.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

I am always amazed by petroglyphs, but I agree with Tom on #3 and #4, nice shots.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I guess I just have to be different... my favorite is #1.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Tom, Cristobal, Denise, thanks to all of you for the comments. The fact that reactions differ shows why we take more than one photo. :)

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet set Don!

I love #3. The point is made without underlining anything. For #4 same point is obviously being made. So for me #3 is fantastic. No distractions. All by itself. Pulls eye perfectly. So vivacious! Me against the world with no fear!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

The petroglyphs are a great find. I hope the area remains unvandalized. Not too many places like that left.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Thanks, Taz. "I love #3. The point is made without underlining anything. For #4 same point is obviously being made." Originally I preferred number 4 but I've gravitated to your view. I'm always a sucker for a tree or shrub that's surviving in a place that appears to be inimical to life.

Thanks, David. We do get some vandalism at petroglyph sites. I know of some sites that few if any people have found and I don't tell anyone where they are.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

No 4 is my favorite as the shapes complement each other so well.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

Thanks, Willard.

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

I like #3 best, for the reason Tom said--it shows the isolation of the plant but also the new and ancient living side by side.

Lauren

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

Thanks, Lauren.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Don..

lovely images!

I'll be different but #2 is great. Maybe not for the exact composition but, an image I could look at for a long time, and that makes a difference. The image has so much to say, so many questions can be asked, it is not a once and done pic but, one you can come back to over and over and still not have all (or any) answers to your questions.

Agree with Dave, hope folks take photos only and leave no trace.

Thanks, Catman. I'm a petroglyph addict. I can look at a wall of them for hours.

For the most part we can only guess at the meaning of petroglyphs. A few, though, are identical to contemporary Hopi clan symbols. The Hopis contend that they're descended from the Sinagua/Anasazi/Ancestral Hopi and, as I understand it, most archaeologists now agree with them.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Don...

Thanks for the insights and added intel on the petroglyphs. I too try to seek them out wherever I can find them. Hiking about and coming upon some, unexpectedly is a great thrill. I always stop and wonder about the individual who drew them, what he/she might have looked like, been wearing, been heading, what was it that they were communicating and to whom? The questions go on.

Thanks again!