Options

Slime Mould in Almost Inaccessible Location

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins

This is a slime mould, about a hand span across. It was inside a compost bin, on top of the decaying plant matter, some 45cm /18 inches down. I could just reach to place the camera and lens at working distance, +/- 2"/50mm in place. There was no chance of using the eye-level screen and judging focus of an UWA lens on a distant screen is hopeless. I had previously placed two RC freestanding flash unit at that level.

Due to the issues identified earlier, together with the sloping colony. I rejected the images. I then tried to harvest the substrate bearing the colony, only to flip it over.

Sony A7r3 Laowa 9mm f/5.6 FF RL. It was almost certainly f11. Twin, freestanding flash, hand held.

The stereo is crosseye.

The species is likely to be Badhamia utricularis.

Harold

Comments

• Options
    BugsrusBugsrus Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins

Beautiful Harold.

You know I love slime moulds. Species identification is an esoteric art (science?)

Ed

• Options
    edited August 1, 2020

@Bugsrus said:
    Beautiful Harold.

You know I love slime moulds. Species identification is an esoteric art (science?)

Ed

More of a lottery. Thanks, Ed.

I don't get very far with the ones with a lime crust on the outside.

This colony is immature, later forming blue-black spheres, a bit like tiny golf balls.

Harold

• Options

I was hoping to be able to report regrowth, which has now happened (I just took some photos), and that this time it will reach maturity.

Harold