Shooting Golf...

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
edited August 8, 2020 in Landscapes

...Courses.

Every year, usually in the summertime, I realize I haven't been out with the IR converted camera either at all, or enough, to justify owning it. This past week my wife and I headed out to a few golf courses to either eat at, and then shoot pictures, or just to shoot pictures and walk around. Can't go too far from home anyway with the COVID, so revisiting nearby places is always a good option. The following are three different golf clubs within a 10-mile drive of us, all in glorious, colorless IR monochrome. One of these might just give away it's location. Enjoy!

Cantigny in Winfield, Infrared

Cantigny in Winfield, Infrared

Arrowhead Golf Course in Wheaton, Infrared

Chicago Golf Club in Wheaton, Infrared

My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet sweet captures David!
    The #3 is wall hanger! Pure joy! Bravo!
    Then #1. The brights and darks in total harmony!
    Love the last shot, #6 as well! Wonderful framing and balance!

For #5 the dark/shadow in bottom left is hard and just pulling eye and out of place for me.
    If mine, I would CROP IT hugging the the bottom of the tiny sign "Pick up Carts Here" Should be changed to "Crop just below here". ;)

Finally, for me, #4 is worth putting up fight for as it can be second best shot.
    The 3 dark grills and the mile marker 50 and the dark dot in middle of bushes close to left edge are worth removing.
    The watermark should be placed elsewhere if not removed.
    Then it would look like "Door to Heaven"!

Total joy this! Now I wish I can give IR at least one try!
    Cheers David!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

That's some very impressive IR work, David. Not being an IR shooter, I'm curious about the PP processing when working with this approach. Are the basics similar to non-IR work or do the manipulations and adjustments in processing differ significantly? Take care.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

@black mamba said:
    That's some very impressive IR work, David. Not being an IR shooter, I'm curious about the PP processing when working with this approach. Are the basics similar to non-IR work or do the manipulations and adjustments in processing differ significantly? Take care.

The processing is pretty straightforward. Manipulate the file like it is a higher contrast B & W shot, watching out for values reaching 255 or 0. You want definition in the whites and it is easy to accidently blow them out. I shoot with a polarizer on, and adjust that to the darker sky settings before I press the shutter. A polarizer just makes it easier in post to further darken the skies. I also play with simulated filtering just like in the old B&W film days with red, orange, yellow and green (simulated) filtering. That can bring out certain details that plain B&W conversions would ignore. I shoot IR with a LifePixel converted Canon 100D, which is a tiny and simple Dslr that is easy to carry along with any other cam if I'm out shooting both color and IR. I had LifePixel put in their standard IR filter. I use only Canon's Digital Photo Professional for post. I sometimes might have to pass that result off to another software to finish, as I did with 6, above, to straighten up the lines.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Thanks, David, for taking the time to enlighten me about some of your work-flow in processing IR images. I've got an older Nikon D-80 ( love that camera ) that I may have converted. to IR.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

Great IR work - I have been meaning to try this for a while.

Cheers,