Options

Live Stream - Beach wedding - signal issue?

EskuvoEskuvo Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins

One of my clients want me to provide live feed of the wedding ceremony they are going to have on the beach.
I would like to use my 5d mark iv to record and provide the feed into OBS Studio software. I am planning to use my mobile internet on my phone. I would like to set up my phone as hot spot and connect my notebook to my phone.

• My question is how to make sure I have strong internet to support the upstream data??? I don't have mobile wifi? The location is 2 hours away from my home. I can go and test the speed but I would rather not to.
    What do you do when you live stream an event? How do you make sure you have a strong signal?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited August 3, 2020

Too many unknowns to give a serious answer.

Remember that any reduction in upstream data throughput, due to packet loss, reduced signal strength, atmospherics/weather, direct-line radio interference, etc., any of these things can and will affect the video stream with loss of resolution or increased dropouts or even loss of communication.

I submit that unless your client can provide evidence of adequate sustained signal to the site (ideally through a cable or DSL wired connection), you cannot guarantee any level of success for streaming video.

===================================================================

I'm the techie that designed the live-streaming system for my church, and I alone am qualified to operate the system. It's not too unusual for that system to have problems, and even an occasional complete failure in the live-stream, and the church is located in a city and runs through a wired cable-TV (Comcast) connection.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    EskuvoEskuvo Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins

@ziggy53 said:

Remember that any reduction in upstream data throughput, due to packet loss, reduced signal strength, atmospherics/weather, direct-line radio interference, etc., any of these things can and will affect the video stream with loss of resolution or increased dropouts or even loss of communication.

I submit that unless your client can provide evidence of adequate sustained signal to the site (ideally through a cable or DSL wired connection), you cannot guarantee any level of success for streaming video.

I'm the techie that designed the live-streaming system for my church, and I alone am qualified to operate the system. It's not too unusual for that system to have problems, and even an occasional complete failure in the live-stream, and the church is located in a city and runs through a wired cable-TV (Comcast) connection.

Thanks so much!!!! what do you do when there is no reliable internet?

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator

@Eskuvo said:

@ziggy53 said:

Thanks so much!!!! what do you do when there is no reliable internet?

You can start to think like a news service on a major remote live event? In that case, call around to inquire rental costs and equipment needed for the remote location. Focus your search on two technologies:

Microwave link.
    Satellite link.

Look only at vendors who specialize in remote links, and they may charge up front to be reimbursed of any quote if they have to travel to do a site survey.

Be aware that this will probably get quickly expensive, especially if the couple wants no-drop stability and signal, good data strength, high visual quality and high-resolution with 30-60 fps. The higher the bandwidth and speed required, and the greater the distance from a wired connection, the greater the costs and potential problems.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums