Classic Car Senior Portrait Session

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 13, 2020 in People

Been a while, hope everyone is well. I was pleased with this session! This is his grandfather's '65 Mustang. These are not fully retouched. C&C welcome as always, thanks for looking.

3 - he requested this wide shot

5 - yearbook needs a vertical

8 - traditional shot

-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited August 13, 2020

Well, heck! Welcome back!

Looks like a wonderful shoot. Real nice near-ruins for a backdrop with the traditional portrait bringing up the rear. The one thing that bothers me is that ugly cloth draping down in the middle of the background that is catching my eye more than it should in the first five pics. Shot number 7 could be stronger by cropping out the blue car on the left and the person in the background on the far right. All-in-all though it is a strong set of portraits.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins

Thanks David! I agree that white tarp is not helping, but I wasn't going to try to yank it down and end up covered in god knows what. #8 is left loose so if they want to print it they can choose a size and I will deal with the blue car and person later, but I agree, they need to go.

Here's one more from the other side of the building on the right. Not as dramatic ruins, but I like the receding windows. I used to live walking distance to this old brick complex here in Portland Maine, and had never ventured around back to see those ruins. And I've driven past this place thousands of times. You'd think this would be in a run-down part of a run-down town, but it is actually occupying prime waterfront real estate in Portland. The city has long been deliberating over what to do with it as it is fairly historic.

-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • JTP22JTP22 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins

While I do agree the tarp is a bit distracting, I would have loved to see a couple of pics with a shallow DOF and a bit more compression. It would have hid the tarp and brought the young man forward. With that being said I love the pics and location! Great job!

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins

Thanks. In hindsight I should have done that as another option, but he was running out of patience. The young man, his mother, and I were excited to discover this setting, we had never seen it before, so we wanted to capture it rather than obscure it in thin DOF. If they want to reduce the impact of the background I can crop or I suppose fake the DOF in post. But they won't.

-Jack