Maine Osprey and Seals

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

I was able to take a quarantine break and get to Maine last month. On a boat tour someone loaned me a Nikon 200-500 f5.6 to use on my D750. I don't shoot much wildlife but this was a good chance and we had some good sightings that day. Here are a couple of the Osprey and seals we saw. Comments are welcomed. Thanks, Lauren

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Hi Lauren,

Great shots! my favorites are #1 and #5. The composition of the seal shot is great!

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Great series. I love the face on the Osprey!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

That first Osprey shot is a real keeper. Took me a while to see the seal's eyes on the far side of the rock in that last shot. Priceless.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

See what I mean, Lauren. Stuff this good needs to be shared. Once you focus on that Osprey's eyes, you can't look at anything else .Fantastic. # 5 is also a real winner. I'll put a hold on sending out the troops to round you up. For now. B)

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 16, 2020

Great set of images.

Was that osprey nest so low that you could shoot from a boat and be at eye level with the ospreys?

Wow, cool shots!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

@Juano said:
    Hi Lauren,

Great shots! my favorites are #1 and #5. The composition of the seal shot is great!

Hi Cristobal - Thanks for looking. I am pretty happy with that seal shot too.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

@Cavalier said:
    Great series. I love the face on the Osprey!

Thanks Jo - I was captivated by that face every time I looked at the shots.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

@David_S85 said:
    That first Osprey shot is a real keeper. Took me a while to see the seal's eyes on the far side of the rock in that last shot. Priceless.

Thanks David - Glad you saw that seal's eyes. I thought it was hilarious when I saw it.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 17, 2020

@black mamba said:
    See what I mean, Lauren. Stuff this good needs to be shared. Once you focus on that Osprey's eyes, you can't look at anything else .Fantastic. # 5 is also a real winner. I'll put a hold on sending out the troops to round you up. For now. B)

Thanks, my friend - those eyes are mesmerizing, and so yellow. When you send out the troops just remember I was in the military--I will be prepared. :wink: Pat> @pathfinder said:

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

@pathfinder said:
    Great set of images.

Was that osprey nest so low that you could shoot from a boat and be at eye level with the ospreys?

Wow, cool shots!

Pathfinder, we saw two nests on two different boat rides. This set of images is from the wildlife tour and yes, the nest was that low. It sits on a low-riding buoy in the river so we could get even with it. Even without the chance to shoot just seeing this nest was a special experience. I'd never seen Osprey nests except high atop perches and light poles

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • rotatingXposuresrotatingXposures Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    These are just gorgeous photos! I love #3 with the wings spread out and #5 of the seals all stacked up. On #5, your focus is so lovely creating a blurred foreground and background with the seals laying there in what appears to be layers! Fab stuff!