Canon EOS R5 Professional Mirrorless Camera

2»

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Do CFexpress cards cause Canon EOS R5 overheating? Tested w/ Atomos Shogun + BG-R10 grip & batteries - John Gress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dXHpj1F-jY

I wanted to test if the CF Express or SD cards cause the new Canon EOS R5 to overheat when recording externally, plus I wanted to explore if leaving the camera's screen on while recording causes the camera to overheat.

All of my tests were battery powered.

Everything discussed in this video was recorded UHD 24p 4k Fine (HQ) and when I was recording externally on my Atomos Shogun, I had it set to 422LT. While I have seen other people test it at 30p, I wanted to test it at 24p because that’s what I use typically when I shoot for clients.

I don’t have any RF lenses or a Ninja V to test and I am sure a lot of people with C series cameras will be adapting EF lenses to this camera and using various recorders too.

Once I completed each of my 7 tests, I waited at least 39 min (five of them were over two hours, details below) with the camera turned off. All of the tests were completed indoors at normal temperatures.

So to get a baseline I did a test with internal recording to each card type.

1.Internal Recording to the SD Card, 1day plus cooldown time before test, Overheated at 28:58

1. Internal Recording to the CFexpress, coodown time before test 41 minutes, Overheated at 27:33

Then I switched over to external recording with my Atomos Shogun, again, capturing 24P 422LT 4k.

1. External Recording, SD Card, Screen on, cooldown time before test 39 minutes, Overheated 15:02

2. External Recording, No Cards, Screen off, coodown time before test 8h11m, Batteries died 2h49

3. External Recording, SD Card Inside, Screen off, coodown time before test 2h53, Overheated at 1h53

4. External Recording, CFEXPRESS Card Inside, Screen off, coodown time before test 2h01, Overheated After 2 Hours

I expected this test to fail quicker based on a video I saw by No Life Digital, so I started anyway with low batteries. The batteries died at exactly 2 hours which is a little suspicious, but it could just be a coincidence. I didn’t catch it right away but I changed the batteries, and had it feeding to the screen within 7 minutes, then it kept going until the card filled 44 min later. but the heat warning on the screen said 5 minutes when I ran out of space. So maybe it would have been good for 3 hours if the batteries didn’t die.

5. External Recording, No Cards Inside, Screen on, cooldown time before test 4h34, Overheated After 41:46

In conclusion, having the screen on does seem to be a contributing factor to overheating, but it doesn’t appear having the CFexpress in the camera causes the over heating, even though I got about 90 seconds more internal recording time with the SD card. So I think the moral of the story is keep the screen off as much as you can and the cards out of the camera.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Canon EOS R5 Review after Real Job Experience | Wedding Engagement + Portrait Sessions - Vanessa Joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeFc6-8rmGk

It's one thing to love the specs of a camera, it's another to take the Canon R5 in the field on a real wedding, engagement session and full day portrait work. Here's my full take on the camera along with Q&A from the live session on my Instagram where this was originally filmed. I’m talking mostly about the Canon EOS R5 for stills, not as much about video, since I’m a photographer I feel bettering doing a Canon R5 review for photography.

ziggy53

Dumping Sony for the Canon R5 - Tony & Chelsea Northrup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNlCJP9nDE4

Chelsea, an ever-fickle and indecisive woman, is once again changing camera systems. She shot with the Sony A7R3 and decided its not the right camera for her. In this video, Chelsea talks about her reasons for leaving Sony behind and why she's choosing to try the new Canon R5 instead. Subscribe to see her future videos in which she'll rigorously and ruthlessly test the R5 in her most favored areas of photography: wildlife, travel, and portraits.

ziggy53

Ken is unbridled and this is a long video review. A caveat; when Ken says he can get 10,000 shots with his Watson battery, well ..., I don't think so!

Canon EOS R5 Review & Sample Images by Ken Rockwell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1cdjhqMf9I

ziggy53

Focus STACK your images AUTOMATICALLY using the EOS R5 - Steven Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAxDd5h184

The EOS R5 has the ability to automatically focus stack up to 999 images internally! Then you can use Canon's DPP software to merge those images into a single file AUTOMATICALLY. No more manually taking multiple images and then uploading them into photoshop to manually merge the focus. Can you imagine trying to focus merge 999 images in photoshop?

ziggy53

Canon 5D Mark IV vs Canon EOS R5 for bird photography and a little video work.

R5 vs 5D Mark IV - Spontaneous Photoshoot, Flash Issues, AF, NEW R5 Settings, Teleconverters & More! - Jan Wegener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGbxQC9Dt8U

Canon EOS R5 or 5 D Mark IV? The 5D Mark IV has been my trusted bird photography camera for many years and has delivered me tens of thousands of great images, but how does it compare to the new kid on the block, the EOS R5?
    The last few weeks I have been using both cameras and have prepared a lot of sample images for you and also done a quick lockdown photoshoot that will show you that you don't have to go far to take amazing bird images.
    I have discovered a few issues with the R5 especially when using flash and changed a few settings to make it better and will share some more thoughts about the Autofocus with you.

ziggy53
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator

I struggle with those who switch when technology changes and am less likely to rely on those reviews-the Sony system is pretty competitive and even if it's not quite up to the R5, it likely will be.

Some of the feedback I've heard from friends who are now using the R5 with respect to autofocus and the focus system in general make it a serious contender. 8k is exciting but meh for me. Just features wise, it's a great improvement and it's mirrorless :smiley:

R5 could be for me!

Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

WHOA! CANON R5 with a 0.71x Adapter. CROP MODE UNLOCKED

https://youtu.be/blNakk8nEJw

ziggy53