Time to pause

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited August 19, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet sweet capture Tom and wonderful treatment! such a romantic dreamy photo!
    I do think that bright foreground is bit too conspicuous and fighting for attention.
    Maybe quarter inch or less, taken off from the bottom would be good?
    it would put emphasis on man instead of empty bright area.
    Cheers Tom!!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Thanks, Taz. I raised the bottom margin about a half inch. I appreciate the input.

The man pictured is our guide. Another couple of friends and my wife and I had him lead the four of us on a trek through the mountains. It was a 4 and 1/2 hour ride.....up, down, around, and sideways. Mercy. The guide, of course, was unfazed. The other three in my gang were worn to a frazzle and me......well, I was ready to call for an ambulance.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Perfect now Tom! I can't fathom 4.5 hour horse ride. I mean even it is 4.5 minutes my butt and nuts both hurt. It is way to bumpy and painful. So forget it.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Nice shot Tom, sounds like a fun adventure!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I really like this one, Tom. I believe it. Plus it brings back pleasant memories.

If it were mine, I'd do a quick mask over the bare earth at the bottom and take the brightness down a bit, but that's just taste.

@Stumblebum said:
    Perfect now Tom! I can't fathom 4.5 hour horse ride. I mean even it is 4.5 minutes my butt and nuts both hurt. It is way to bumpy and painful. So forget it.

I hear you, brother. Thankfully, such an event is a semi-decade occurrence for me so I have a lot of time to come up with an excuse for never doing it again.

edited August 18, 2020

@Juano said:
    Nice shot Tom, sounds like a fun adventure!

Thanks, Cristóbal. I've been stomping through those mountains for over 35 years....thought that I've seen it all. This guide, though, was amazing. He knew more about plants and little critters than anyone I've met before. It truly was an educational experience.

@Cornflake said:
    I really like this one, Tom. I believe it. Plus it brings back pleasant memories.

If it were mine, I'd do a quick mask over the bare earth at the bottom and take the brightness down a bit, but that's just taste.

Thanks for commenting, Don. Am I to assume that you enjoy horse riding? While my wife is an accomplished rider, I generally avoid those animals like the plague.

I do enjoy it, Tom. I wouldn't call myself accomplished but I've done it since I was pretty young.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Tom, I just love the picture and it sounds like a really great experience. Sometimes a great experience is worth a little physical discomfort. :smile:

@Cornflake said:
    I do enjoy it, Tom. I wouldn't call myself accomplished but I've done it since I was pretty young.

I've got a correction to make. My wife walked into my office and read where I had referred to her as an " accomplished rider " .She thinks that term might imply skills she doesn't have. I said " Why not. you've never been thrown off ". She rolled her eyes and left the room. Like you, she's been riding horses since a young age. Still enjoys it.

@sarasphotos said:
    Tom, I just love the picture and it sounds like a really great experience. Sometimes a great experience is worth a little physical discomfort. :smile:

Thanks, Sara. Using your judging guidelines and assuming that the ratio of good to bad stays the same, then I would say I had a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious experience. :#

Tom, I often have corrections to make after I listen to my wife. :)

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@Cornflake said:
    Tom, I often have corrections to make after I listen to my wife. :)

Most men do... 😉😁

edited August 19, 2020

Hit the dirt, guys. We've got incoming fire. There's only one thing to do....circle the wagons and pray that a pedicure appointment will interrupt their attack. :o

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Nice b&w, Tom.

"Tis a little bright

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

Thanks, Willard. I hope you're doing well.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Thanks, Willard. I hope you're doing well.

As Monty Python says: "I'm not dead yet" B)

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Very nice image...subject matter, composition and wait for it....BW. Well done.

If I could make a suggestion...if you have post-processing software (e.g. Lightroom, PS, Gimp) try a ND filter to lighten the upper left/right corners and add just a degree of darkening to the brighter grassy area, center stage in the image. As Taz mentions, a little more "bright" on the guide would work well to. Again, IMHO.

Thanks for sharing this photo and the dialogue...hope all is well! 😊

edited August 23, 2020

@El Gato said:
    Tom...

Very nice image...subject matter, composition and wait for it....BW. Well done.

If I could make a suggestion...if you have post-processing software (e.g. Lightroom, PS, Gimp) try a ND filter to lighten the upper left/right corners and add just a degree of darkening to the brighter grassy area, center stage in the image. As Taz mentions, a little more "bright" on the guide would work well to. Again, IMHO.

Thanks for sharing this photo and the dialogue...hope all is well! 😊

Thanks for the comments, Gato. On my computer, I have Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, and a discontinued, yet very capable , program once offered by Microsoft....Microsoft Digital Image. I much prefer to post images that are straight out of the camera. Excepting my rust work, which is beat to death with manipulation, I purposefully avoid doing very much touch-up in PP that is not absolutely imperative. Honestly, I consider myself to be basically a glorified snap-shot shooter .There was a time when I dipped into photography on a much more esoteric level. But, frankly, those days are gone for me. With all the above said, I certainly don't want to discourage comments and suggestions from any of you guys. What better way is there to improve my work than to consider the thoughtful, sage input from a group of accomplished photographers as those on this forum? Take care.

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Watch out, fellas . . . some of were in the military and we also have power tools !

Love the shot, Tom.

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 23, 2020

@redleash said:
    Watch out, fellas . . . some of were in the military and we also have power tools !

Love the shot, Tom.

Man, you just have to love a gal with spunk. I'm so happy to have you back in the neighborhood. I'm pleased you like the shot. I bet you would have loved the ride.

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Haven't ridden since college but I would've enjoyed it.

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com