Canon EOS R5 and R6 Overheating Thread

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

This is a consolidated thread relating to Canon EOS R5 and R6 Overheating issues, causes, updates, firmware, remediation, etc.

I decided to post this thread in the Video forum simply because most of these issues will occur in Video mode of operation, or some mix of Still and Video operation. I don't see mention of Canon EOS R5 and R6 Overheating in normal circumstances and Still acquisition alone.

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 27, 2020

First, my thoughts about the cameras, mostly the R5, and their design and intent.

The Canon EOS R5 in particular is a professional, Stills and Video acquisition device, but not intended to be a general purpose or long-format video device.
    This is not a first recommendation for wedding or performance art videography, and Canon has never indicated it as such. Canon did not fully explain the intent of the camera during either the "teaser" advertisements or the official initial introduction of the camera, and that lead to speculation and misunderstanding of the qualities and capabilities of the camera.

To be clear, the only mainstream, 8k long-format, Full-Frame, studio and production camera I am aware of is the RED DSMC2 BRAIN, MONSTRO 8K VV. At $80,000USD the RED DSMC2 BRAIN, MONSTRO 8K VV is obviously only "mainstream" in the Studio and Production sense, but rental could make it possible for individual projects if budget allows.

ziggy53
    edited August 30, 2020

The Canon EOS R5 is an extremely competent professional Stills camera, and also the first Canon outside the Canon Cinema line, and under the $4,000USD price-point, to have more than 4k video capabilities. It's not a cheap camera, but considering it's total capabilities it could be one of the true "bargains" available to "indie", sports, news and other short-format ENG/EFP individuals and smaller production companies.

While I would like to eventually have my own EOS R5, I'm fully retired and, to be honest, I just don't need it. I'm very happy with my pair of 5D Mark IV bodies, a Magic Lantern enhanced 5D Mark III (allowing RAW video acquisition), an EOS M50 crop mirrorless, and a couple of action cameras that do 4k video. Along with a couple old Full-HD Canon Vixia camcorders I feel very nicely empowered. (Proper post-processing is another valuable component for successful video production.)

If 'You' need the qualities of, and can work with the limits of operation, the EOS R5 (and the EOS R6) can be an asset in video production, for sure!

I do recommend leaving the LCD moved out from the camera back, to prevent trapping dead air back there, and it looks like there are some CFexpress memory cards which run cooler than others. Both Canon and third-party manufacturers also seem to have patents and plans to produce cooling devices for the R5 and R6. Also watch for evolving and improving firmware, starting with the Canon "EOS R5 Firmware Update, Version 1.1.0".

ziggy53

EOS R5 Firmware Update, Version 1.1.0

https://usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-r5?subtab=downloads-firmware

Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

1. Useful messaging is now displayed when [HDMI display: Camera+External monitor] and [Overheat control: on] settings are enabled.
    2. When using certain RF lenses for movie shooting, the in-lens image stabilization mechanism has been improved.
    3. Fixes a phenomenon in which the "Slow Synchro" setting screen is not accurately displayed, when the language is set to English.
    4. Fixes a typo displayed on the communication setting screen, when the language is set to Korean.
    5. Connectivity during FTP transmission has been improved.
    6. Fixes a phenomenon, in which the card access time may take longer, when using certain CFexpress cards.
    7. Temperature detection and shooting time control in video shooting have been improved. In addition, the total shooting time when the short-time recording and power-on/off are performed repeatedly at room temperature is improved.
    8. The phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected.
    ziggy53

Canon EOS R5 OVERHEATING improvements with firmware 1.1.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bOeoYI6EYs

ziggy53

Did CANON FIX the EOS R5 OVERHEATING?! (Firmware 1.1.0 REVIEW) - Jared Polin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJM0_pqxGD0

ziggy53
    edited August 30, 2020

There are forums and sites discussing how to circumvent the overheating messages and subsequent shutdown of the EOS R5. The justification is because, "... the normal operating temperature of a modern socket on chip is up to 90 degrees Celsius." - and - " ... testing finds Canon EOS R5 overheating to be fake, with artificial timers deployed to lock out video mode ... "

Trying to equate Canon/Nikon/Sony imager chips to CPU/GPU chips is like when a few people thought, "Gasoline and diesel (and later, E85) are both fuels, therefore I should be able to put diesel/E85 in my gasoline tank and expect my gasoline motor to run."

Just as it's a really bad idea to put diesel/E85 into a gasoline powered car, it's a really bad idea to think that a Canon EOS R5 should be forced to run for longer than originally designed, which will cause protracted temperatures for the imager.

The predictable result of such abuse is some combination of dead and/or hot or stuck pixels on the imager, and ultimately you may cause other undue stress to the power supply, main board and image processor(s).

In short, just don't subject anything you own beyond it's manufacturer designs, but especially not a Canon EOS R5. Abusing a camera from any manufacturer and then experiencing damage or failure is not a manufacturer's responsibility, and any repair or replacement is the owner's responsibility, regardless of warranty. (That used to be common sense, but for some reason some people want to feel entitled rather than responsible, and I just don't understand ...?)

ziggy53

Sony A7SIII VS Canon R5 - Ultimate Video Camera Showdown

https://youtu.be/tgcp8wXAUZY

Sony A7SIII vs Canon R5 Overheating Test Revisited

https://youtu.be/d-SAUNuBCNM

ziggy53

From PetaPixel site (emphasis mine):
    Link to full article https://petapixel.com/2021/01/20/canon-exec-suggests-the-eos-r5-only-has-8k-for-marketing-reasons/

Canon Exec Suggests the EOS R5 Only Has 8K for Marketing Reasons

Canon’s General Manager of the Image Communication Business Division Takeshi Tokura was recently interviewed by Toyo Keizai about the success of the R5 and R6. In it, Tokura seems to suggest that 8K was important to include in the R5 mainly to beat competitors to it.

At launch, there was significant negative press involving the R5’s overheating problems in its 4K and 8K video modes. Tokura says that the reason the camera still continues to sell well despite these hardware limitations is because video performance isn’t important to the camera’s main market.

“I don’t think video-focused users are driving the reputation of this new product,” he says. “I was particular about the spec of 8K, and I was enthusiastic to put it out first, ahead of other companies,” Tokura elaborates.
    **Tokura admits the R5 was not intended to be aimed at video shooters and that the 8K specification was only included to beat competitors to being the first to implement it, which of course looks great on marketing materials.

Echoing sentiments that were reported last week, Tokura says that the sales of the EOS R5 were “more popular than expected.”

“The EOS R5 is a professional product, and the price is quite high. Not only the body but also the (sales of) interchangeable lenses for full-size mirrorless cameras are growing steadily, and I feel that it shows the solidity of the R series,” Tokura says.

ziggy53
    edited June 26, 2021

Kolari Vision introduces:

Canon R5 Heatsink Overheating Mod Service

https://kolarivision.com/product/canon-r5-cooling-mod-service/

With the following reported results:

(20 Degrees Celsius = 68 Degrees Fahrenheit, 15 Degrees Celsius = 59 Degrees Fahrenheit)

... as well as converted bodies with remediated overheating capabilities.

Canon EOS R5 Unlimited – Heat Sink Cooling Modified Camera

https://kolarivision.com/product/canon-eos-r5-heatsink-cooling-mod-mirrorless-camera/

ziggy53
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

It’s good that another company is offering these modifications, and I’m glad for the people who bought into Canon’s 8k hype.

At the same time, I cannot imagine supporting a company that takes my money and delivers a product that only kinda does what it’s advertised to do. I mean, every camera manufacturer delivers a few ‘gotcha’ features now and then, but damn, promising a huge advancement in video resolution then valuing competitors’ timelines over customers’ actual needs is hella shady.

With that said, knowing friends who own an R5, it’s a great little photo camera, pretty decent at video, but certainly not worth the asking price, especially considering you have to mod it straight out of the box to actually use it how it’s advertised.

edited June 28, 2021

The only advertising statement I can find from Canon which might have tripped people up was the "... a camera that features high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording.", in Canon's R5 home page. However, Canon never said those features were connected to the same video mode of operation.

If they had said, "... continuous shooting when recording 8K video.", that would have been wrong of Canon, but they didn't say that. It was obvious to me that, "... high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording ...", indicated two, different video modes.

I'm afraid that too many people got caught up wishing the EOS R5 could do long format 8k acquisition, but no, Canon never said it could do that; at least not that I can find in their advertising.

Can anyone point to Canon EOS R5 advertising which says it is capable of long format 8k acquisition without overheating?

ziggy53

@ziggy53 said:
    The only advertising statement I can find from Canon which might have tripped people up was the "... a camera that features high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording.", in Canon's R5 home page. However, Canon never said those features were connected to the same video mode of operation.

If they had said, "... continuous shooting when recording 8K video.", that would have been wrong of Canon, but they didn't say that. It was obvious to me that, "... high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording ...", indicated two, different video modes.

I'm afraid that too many people got caught up wishing the EOS R5 could do long format 8k acquisition, but no, Canon never said it could do that; at least not that I can find in their advertising.

Can anyone point to Canon EOS R5 advertising which says it is capable of long format 8k acquisition without overheating?

I think there's an amount of implied meaning in their advertising that must be owned. If you say a camera can record 8K video, then you'd expect it to do that effectively, at least on the same level as its predecessors are able to record 4K video. It's not a natural thought progression to assume that whatever max recording rate they're advertising surely isn't intended for real world use.

edited June 29, 2021

First, a disclaimer (of sorts), the following is not an indictment against user "JonaBeth Russell". Speaking directly about team "JonaBeth Russell" I recognize quality video work when I see it and he and his wife produce fantastic quality work. If you haven't seen any of their work you should take a look.
    From my perspective, we are having a spirited discussion in this thread. My comments are directed at everyone and very much IMO.

The only real 8k video competition for the Canon EOS R5 is the Sony Alpha 1.

Yes, Canon did a lousy job describing the 8k capabilities and limitations of the R5, and yes, whoever wrote the initial Firmware for the R5 either dropped the ball or misunderstood some internal workings (Canon did not previously write their own firmware code; it was done by a third-party contractor, but I haven't heard if that changed.)

For sure, things have improved with the latest firmware. Is Canon still being overly cautious with the firmware settings related to overheating?

The Sony Alpha 1 has to be user set to optionally allow higher internal heat, and recommended to use an external power source for it to operate reliably for long periods, especially when environmental conditions get warm and hot. Does the higher internal camera heat create an opportunity for shorter sensor life or hot pixels at high ISOs? No reports of serious problems so far, but the camera hasn't been out that long yet.

Should people be wary of buying the Alpha 1 because maybe a $6500 camera shouldn't need to be compromised to capture 8k and 4k120p video?

Both the R5 and the Alpha 1 mirrorless cameras are selling in good numbers, and overall users are finding uses for each. I could be happy owning either, although I don't need either, nor do I anticipate the need.

Both Canon and Sony are guilty of "fallacy by omission" and could do better to explain capabilities and limitations to prospective buyers. Unfortunately, they are not alone. I see a lot of this stuff in marketing these days. Caveat emptor!

ziggy53

@ziggy53 said:
    First, a disclaimer (of sorts), the following is not an indictment against user "JonaBeth Russell". Speaking directly about team "JonaBeth Russell" I recognize quality video work when I see it and he and his wife produce fantastic quality work. If you haven't seen any of their work you should take a look.
    From my perspective, we are having a spirited discussion in this thread. My comments are directed at everyone and very much IMO.

The only real 8k video competition for the Canon EOS R5 is the Sony Alpha 1.

Yes, Canon did a lousy job describing the 8k capabilities and limitations of the R5, and yes, whoever wrote the initial Firmware for the R5 either dropped the ball or misunderstood some internal workings (Canon did not previously write their own firmware code; it was done by a third-party contractor, but I haven't heard if that changed.)

For sure, things have improved with the latest firmware. Is Canon still being overly cautious with the firmware settings related to overheating?

The Sony Alpha 1 has to be user set to optionally allow higher internal heat, and recommended to use an external power source for it to operate reliably for long periods, especially when environmental conditions get warm and hot. Does the higher internal camera heat create an opportunity for shorter sensor life or hot pixels at high ISOs? No reports of serious problems so far, but the camera hasn't been out that long yet.

Should people be wary of buying the Alpha 1 because maybe a $6500 camera shouldn't need to be compromised to capture 8k and 4k120p video?

Both the R5 and the Alpha 1 mirrorless cameras are selling in good numbers, and overall users are finding uses for each. I could be happy owning either, although I don't need either, nor do I anticipate the need.

Both Canon and Sony are guilty of "fallacy by omission" and could do better to explain capabilities and limitations to prospective buyers. Unfortunately, they are not alone. I see a lot of this stuff in marketing these days. Caveat emptor!

Ziggy, you're the best! I never take our discussions as anything more than grown ups having discussions :)

I agree with everything you pointed out here, and yes, the R5 is definitely a fantastic camera, and it's 4K footage looks great as well, without any overheating issues.

And yep...Sony definitely hits me with the 'gotcha' every time I upgrade. This last time, with the a7Siii, it was the 240fps recording feature....turned out it's only available in S&Q mode (pre-bundled, lower bit rate, meh quality) and ONLY if you buy their expensive ass type A CFE cards (which I did).

I think the Canon rep in the interview summed it all up well when he said they just wanted to beat the competition in releasing an 8K video quality mirrorless camera. Rushing for the ratings, so to speak.

So far, the A1 has shown no overheating issues from field tests I've seen. Gerald Undone did a pretty solid review, and never could get the overheat alarm to trigger while recording 8K video, continuously, until he filled all the memory cards. He tried through a number of batteries, as I recall. I would love to report on how mine is doing, but it's still backordered....along with my new iPhone, iPad and iMac. Gahhh!!!!

I'll say this about Canon and I've always said this...no one gives you out of the box color like Canon. If you want to snap a pic, and skin looks like skin, sky looks like sky...then Canon is the go-to in my opinion. I only wish they had done a better job at getting into the mirrorless game back when I jumped over to Sony.

edited July 5, 2021

Another possible tool for the R5 set of tools:

CANON R5: UNLIMITED 4KHQ & 8K RECORDING - NO MODS NEEDED - Deaf Director

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM3ulAK5f8k

A surprising discovery of how I was able to get over 3 hours of continuous 4KHQ (and 8K) recording on the Canon R5. NOTE: AMBIENT ROOM TEMP was BETWEEN 80-85 F for ALL TESTS. All testing were done with 2 hours of cool down time between tests.

UPDATE: According to the Atomos Website the Canon R5 WILL BE ABLE TO EXPORT 8k via the HDMI 2 connection on the camera to the ATOMOS NINJA V+. (https://www.atomos.com/products/ninja...) This means that using this method with the NINJA V+ should work and be effective with the R5 once Canon releases a firmware update (slated for later in 2021)

ziggy53

In order to solve the EOS R5 overheating, as well as providing ProRes RAW recording format and long-format recordings, you need the following:

1) The EOS R5’s firmware needs to be updated to 1.4.0 to enable RAW Output via HDMI.
    2) An Atomos Ninja V+ external recorder (yes, it needs to be the latest "V+" version; an older "Ninja V" will not suffice)
    3) The Atomos Ninja V+ needs firmware version AtomOS 10.68 or later. providing both 8K & 5K ProRes RAW, long-format recordings.
    4) The ProRes codecs need to be activated at the my.atomos.com portal. (The exact process is outlined at the Atomos site.)

Specifically, the new recording formats are:

• ProRes RAW Recording:
    o 8K (8224 x 4336) at 23.98p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p
    o 5K (5088 x 2680) at 23.98p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
    • WB and ISO Controls for FCP Settings slider adjustments

Atomos cautions that the Ninja V+ "will" get hot when recording in ProRes RAW, and that is normal behavior.

ziggy53

8K Raw with no overheating | Canon R5 & Ninja V+ - ProAV TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q506tHUp5o4

ziggy53
    edited August 23, 2021

In case you just need an improvement in recording time before overheating, Tilta Inc. is starting to sell their Tiltaing Cooling System – Black for $165.00USD.
    Currently on backorder.,

ziggy53
    edited September 10, 2021

The first [short] video production in EOS R5 ProRes RAW, thanks to the Atomos Ninja V+ (about 6 mins):

'An Invitation - A Colour the Trails Story’ | Ninja V+ & Canon EOS R5 | 8K ProRes RAW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_k6DjnwOXY

Youtube Filmmaker Levi Allen bursts onto the scene with his new short adventure film “An Invitation - A Color the Trails Story” where he leverages the full power of 8K ProRes RAW via the new Ninja V+. Equipped with the Canon EOS R5 & Ninja V+, watch how Levi unleashes the power of 8K ProRes RAW. From land to air - Levi leverages this incredibly nimble, yet powerful package in ways previously thought to be unattainable! We follow Athlete, Activist and training mountain biker Judith Milay as she ventures down the majestic trails of the west coast mountain ranges, and shares her adventures captured in stunning 8K ProRes RAW all made possible with the Ninja V+ and Canon EOS R5 combination.

Please note: to view the video in 8K make sure you are viewing in a Chrome browser.

Camera used:
    Canon EOS R5

Lenses:
    Canon RF 85mm F.1.2L Usm Ds
    Canon RF 50mm F.1.2L Usm Ds
    Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS Macro
    Canon EF 70-200mm

Monitor-Recorder:
    Ninja V+

Kit:
    AtomX SYNC Module
    Ultra Sync Blue
    Small Rig Canon EOS R5 Cage and HDMI clamp
    Canon Neutral Density filter
    Rode Video Mic Ntg+
    Rode Stereo Mic
    Zoom f2 BT
    Polar Pro basecamp matte box
    Polar Pro signature series screw on ND
    Ronin Rs2 with raven eye
    Shimoda action X 50 Back pack

ziggy53

The 'Behind the Scenes' video for the above video from Atomos (about 40 mins):

8K Apple ProRes RAW Online event | Ninja V+ & Canon EOS R5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhBboHeLUdA

ziggy53

CANON R5 TORTURE TEST: Pushing firmware 1.6 in 96°F heat to see if it breaks - Deaf Director

https://youtu.be/dcm3yJUi79A

ziggy53