Options

More BW work

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Had some free time today in between projects. Gloomy outside so I figured a good opportunity to share some images I have been working on from the BW catalogue.

C&C always welcomed!

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2020

Gato...

I like that you included the bushes in #1. They help set the stage for the rest of the image. Wonderful shot.

I like #2. Somebody, though, is probably going to say it's a little too bright.

I'm mixed on #3. It's a little too OOF for me.

I love #4. Rather than being a distraction, the inclusion of the figure importantly establishes scale to the image. Bravo!!

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2020

Good, Gooder, Gooodier and then Wow OMG!

You have some quirkiness in comp and placement of elements in all of them and maybe I am in good mood, they all seem like PLUSES!

Each one is worth staring and grows on you and I am loving this!

For #1 can get lost in lines and dreams it evokes of death valley for me.
    For #2 Tom is right BUT the glistening or brightness is both putting bit of life in it, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, separating it from busy background. Otherwise, I would complaining its busy and I can't see anything.
    LESSON is you can't win >:)
    For #3 it is completely blown out and just crudely pulled back and whole thing is out of focus, but I still feel its appealing. I need to take my medicine.
    For #4 I said wow literally....like it came out........without any analysis

Cheers Gato!

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Trekker....a neat dunes shot... I've shot dunes and most viewers don't realize, that on a windy day sands flies...

giving the impression of blur....

But you caught it just right... nice work...

Rags
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator

Love the fourth, the dunes shot. Great minimilism in that comp. The dry cracked desert shot is perfect for a B&W.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

Thank you so much everyone for your comments and critique of my images.

Can’t say it enough how important your feedback and critique (pluses and minuses) of my work means. Looks as if I am getting some things right. As always, need to continue working, practicing and perfecting.

Thank you all for helping me to improve the way I think behind the lens and in turn, my overall photography skills!

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I also love the fourth one. For one thing, I like unconventional framing. For another, it's perfect.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Great set, I love #1I think there is room to play with the placement of the bushes, great PP work. #3 doesn't work for me for the reasons stated above. #4 is good, I love dunes.

• Options

Thanks Don and Cristóbal...

Agree on #3 with everyone's comments. will get a 50/50 thumbs up/thumbs down on this one. OOF does not work for many, many shots. Had hoped for a slightly different effect with this one. Live and learn.

I really fought my inner voice yelling at me about proper balance and framing on #4. I decide to go with the result shown. I was really attempting to show, visually, the immense size of the dunes and the area in general. The individual heading out for a hike among them was a perfect element to do just that.

I was extremely surprised to find anyone at the site, let alone walking out into the dunes. The wind that day was intense and sand was blowing pretty much everywhere. Made a mental note to myself, nest time wear long pants. Standing there in hiking shorts, my legs got exfoliated. Not to mention how much slit I was cleaning out of pockets for the rest of the trip.

Thanks again everyone!!