Options

Mistaken Identity

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited August 30, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

While stumbling around the marina in Fernandina, Florida's northern-most settlement, I spied what surely had to be a well-disguised missile defense system. I fled to the authorities to report this find.

After some stern interrogation, I was advised to not go back to this place for the rest of the day.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

'ay tom, don't see the missile defense system but the gentleman o' fortune ye got be mighty cool! ye rule the east coast! up an' down up an' down, ne'er a moment wasted!

• Options
    edited August 30, 2020

missal defense. fire a missal at him> @Stumblebum said:

'ay tom, don't see the missile defense system but the gentleman o' fortune ye got be mighty cool! ye rule the east coast! up an' down up an' down, ne'er a moment wasted!

I told you it was well disguised. Look at all those tall dock post pointing skyward. Notice also that they are equipped with a rocket nose. Man, somebody was really clever.

You know, now that I think about it, I might have been suffering from too much exposure to " Star Wars " lately. Fact is, I'm not sure what happened. Damn that Palace Saloon..... it's not the first time that place has bitten me. Probably won't be the last.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

:smile: The first time I remember seeing this kind of "missile defense system" was in Seward AK. Someone had to explain to me why it was constructed this way. We don't have tides in the desert.

• Options

@Cornflake said:
    :smile: The first time I remember seeing this kind of "missile defense system" was in Seward AK. Someone had to explain to me why it was constructed this way. We don't have tides in the desert.

You know, Don, I've even heard people, who know what they are, ask why they're so tall. Look at the posts in the mid-ground and you can see the high tide mark. You dock a big boat at high tide and you'll savor every inch of those post's height. Keep safe, buddy.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Aaaaaarh ne'er saw the poles, only saw the boats. 'idden in plain sight.

• Options

Well, Taz, I can't hold you accountable for missing the missile defense system. Fact is, it's only people like me with an exaggerated imagination that would notice it. It didn't help, of course, that I had spent the morning with the old peg-legged captain and his crew while we downed a few pints of grog. Once you tangle with grog, you gain a real appreciation for how things got a little rowdy around those pirates. Take care, my friend.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Nice clandestine capture Tom.

Love the "hiding in plain sight" approach..who would of thunk??

What also impressed me was how clean a majority of these "posts" are.

Not a seagull or much evidence of a seagull to be seen.

Must be that OWL (Osprey Warning Light) out of frame to the right.

• Options

@El Gato said:
    Nice clandestine capture Tom.

Love the "hiding in plain sight" approach..who would of thunk??

What also impressed me was how clean a majority of these "posts" are.

Not a seagull or much evidence of a seagull to be seen.

Must be that OWL (Osprey Warning Light) out of frame to the right.

Great observation, Gato. The vary purpose for the design of the post cap is that it discouraged any winged creatures from landing on them.....too tough to deal with the slope of the cap. Obviously, it was a well-conceived design that works. Stay safe.

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Great observation, Gato. The vary purpose for the design of the post cap is that it discouraged any winged creatures from landing on them.....too tough to deal with the slope of the cap. Obviously, it was a well-conceived design that works. Stay safe.

The true test is to look for bird poop at the bottom.........no bird poop, it's working.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata