A Frank Lloyd Wright church

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

This church is only a quarter mile from my house. I decided to try some infrared photos. These are the two most dramatic features of the place.

I generally like Wright's buildings but they're often nicer to look at than to live with. If you look closely you can see that the steeple and the bell tower have both been retrofitted with netting to keep the pigeons at bay. The attempt is only partly successful.

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

"often nicer to look at than to live with": .... Boy you got that (W)right... :-)

Nice shots of a structure that shines in high contrast B&W...

Rags
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Thanks, rags. We're not alone in holding that view.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I like some of Wright's work, some I don't. That's probably a dominant position among critics, I like your shot, Don, but I don't care at all for the subject. It's way to busy for my taste.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

I get it, Tom. I didn't build this thing. :) Thanks for commenting.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

I'd like to see more of the building, or all of it actually.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

"often nicer to look at than to live with" - That's very interesting, as that was my thought exactly when visiting "Falling Water" in Pennsylvania, and the Bachman-Wilson house at The Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. Great to visit, but closets way too small, and ceilings too low for normal height people. Great to look at from a moderate distance.

I really like your IR images, but I tend to be a fan of black skies..... A bad thing to admit in 2020, I suspect.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited September 19, 2020

@pathfinder said:
    but I tend to be a fan of black skies..... A bad thing to admit in 2020, I suspect.

Could be one of the Dgrin quotes of the year. But yes, I agree.

I use a polarizer for my IR shots. I look through the viewfinder and spin it to make the sky as dark as possible (not best for color shots) and then go live view for the actual pic. In post, the B&W IR skies go mostly black, or very dark grey, while not at all affecting the lighter tones.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I've never tried using a polarizer on a IR converted camera -

I will keep that suggestion in mind, though, the next time I am capturing IR. May be awhile, the IR mood strikes me infrequently lately.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

These were taken with a polarizer on an IR-converted camera. This was the look I was after (whether wisely or not) and a polarizer helps get it.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Don....

LIKE the IR look!

Well done, especially use of the polarizer to achieve the black sky. Striking images!!

Thanks, Gato.