Haleakala Cinder Cones

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

The interior of Haleakala crater is littered with these cinder cones, some of which are a couple hundred or more feet tall. I particularly enjoy their color and texture, as it's so unlike anything else near our home on the coast.

You can see walking trails in these images, which traverse around and through the giant crater itself. In one image, there's a small cabin, about 10mi out from the trailhead. The cabins are part of the national park backcountry permitting / camping system, and are available by reservation only.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Amazing, Jona. I've never been up there and had no idea about any of this. Are these drone shots?

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@kdog said:
    Amazing, Jona. I've never been up there and had no idea about any of this. Are these drone shots?

Thanks, and if you get back to Maui, definitely visit the summit crater. You'll be blown away!

These imagers were shot on a Sony a7Riii+ GM100-400. Unfortunately, no drones here, because it's a national park. Technically, you could fly one into the park from outside of the boundaries, but the crater is like 10 miles across, so I doubt the batteries would get ya' very far across it.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Neat place. I've been to Hawaii only once, and the only crater I visited was Diamond Head, and that one is so extinct it wasn't very fascinating.

@JonaBeth Russell said:
    Thanks, and if you get back to Maui, definitely visit the summit crater. You'll be blown away!

See, this is what worries me about going to volcanos

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

@David_S85 said:

See, this is what worries me about going to volcanos

Bahahaha!!! Well...it is considered dormant, and not extinct.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Nice place! First one is cool!

@Stumblebum said:
    Nice place! First one is cool!

Mahalo Taz, that's very much appreciated!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Spectacular place!

@Juano said:
    Spectacular place!

Yes indeed! I'll have more to come sooner than later :)