Options

Utah road trip

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Logged 3,470 round-trip miles.

Just returned from five days spent in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. As nationally recognized dark sky sites, I had hoped to capture some good images of the night sky with some of the more familiar arch formations, buttes and canyons as backdrops.

However, due to the massive fires in CA, the sky throughout the Parks area was awash in smoke, evidenced by the images here. Visibility beyond a few hundred meters, in many locations, was dismal at best.

This is a raw image, taken around 11am, as shot from the side of the road, looking west, out over the broad expanse within Arches National Park. The intensity and density of the smoke in some places was amazing.

This view in Canyonlands National Park is facing southwest, taken around 4pm.

Needless to say I came back with zero astrophotography images of the star-strewn, dark Utah sky.

The second year in a row that my September trip to do some astro imaging has been thwarted. Last year, Edmonton, rain and/or snow for the entire week, last week Utah, smoke-filled sky.

I’ll head back to Utah, however, when I do get the opportunity and time to go again, it will probably be in the early spring. The Milky Way is better positioned and I will check the CA fire forecast first.

I did manage to capture a few savable images.

More Utah road trip images to come when time now permits.

Comments

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Sorry the smoke spoiled your trip, Gato. My two daughters were recently hiking in those parks and Capitol Reef. They didn't mention smoke but, if it's like here, somedays you get it and some days you don't.

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

It's too bad about that smoke, my friend. I guess losing some photo ops pales in comparison to the grief suffered by those that had to deal with the fires. Nonetheless, I know you're disappointed. As you mention, though, you will get there again and get the shots you want. Stay safe, buddy.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.