Mini Challenge # 306: My home town

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

This mini will feature "My home town". We've recently had "vacation" and "revisit" so I thought it would be a good idea to stay a little closer to home and show us something of the surroundings where you live. It can be architecture, land/cityscape, a specific local festivity or anything else prominent in the area. Just let your imagination guide you.

However some people live in a big city while others in a little village or even more rural. So I'd say for this mini your "home town" is defined as a circle of approximately 25 km (15 miles) from your house. This will hopefully level the playing field for all participants. So anything from within that area is allowed. You don't have to live there anymore but I'd ask that all your submissions are from the same area, or in other words taken within in the same circle.
Here's a few examples from my collection to warm you up, but don't let these restrict your creativity to show something entirely different.

Castle of Schoten by night

Local barn

Yearly vintage car rally

Stadium of the local football club

Good luck, happy shooting and this mini will stay open until Sunday Oktober 11, 2020, midnight, NWE time.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used, but for this challenge new photo's are strongly encouraged.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next show.

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2020

Well, this should be a fun and interesting mini! Good one Pieter!

I currently live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Range in California. Since I'm 14 miles from any major town/city, I don't have as much to choose from. But since we are in the Tahoe National Forest and a state recreation area, I thought sports would be a good way to represent the town.

1) Sugar Pine Reservoir - our drinking water source, fishing, canoeing, boating and camping area that also includes a myriad of trail bike and hiking trails. This picture shows just a portion of the reservoir - about 1/5 of it.

2) The area is called the Foresthill Divide because we are situated between two major forks of the American River. The river is renowned for good white-water rafting. The raft in this photo carried six sisters from the East Coast of U.S. who travel every year for a joint vacation/adventure. They were so much fun and had so much fun.

3) On the other side of the river is a town named Cool (at the edge of the 15 mile radius). Rather than a recreation area, Cool is known for it's horse ranches. Dressage Riders in this shot train at the Cool Hills Ranch and were such models!

As an aside (not for entry) there are two of these on Main Street (all 3 blocks of it). I thought they are appropriate given the wildfire inferno California is currently enduring.

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

ooo! This is a great challenge theme Pieter! Here are my 3

1 From our private dock. This is a picture of a Church that is located near the center of Wasilla (my home town). It is across the lake from where I live. My youngest daughter went there for school for a few years before she started to homeschool for the remainder of her school days. The mountain behind the church is called Twin Peaks (the 2 peaks to the right) and I think the bigger one is called Pioneer Peak.

2 Downtown Wasilla, Newcomb Park. This is Wasilla Lake, which we have a house built by this lake, on the North shore, but it is not seen in this picture (it's around the bend on the left side of the image.) I took this picture just this last week as I was driving home, and I pulled over when I saw how pretty the water was. I used my cell phone to take the picture, and it did a pretty decent job of capturing the beautiful colors. I didn't realize that I even caught someone sitting under a tree, reading a book or something, till after I got it home and uploaded it to my account.

3 Winter in Wasilla. After searching through my archives, I have come to the conclusion, that there really isn't much to see in Wasilla. This image shows downtown Wasilla in winter. The summer time, you would see just trees, unless your diving on the other side of the lake, then you would see your typical Fast food, gas stations, and grocery stores, all surrounded by trees and more trees. Since there is a 15 mile radius limit for this challenge, there is not much to show.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

great concept for a mini.

I have lived in Chilliwack, British Columbia (Canada) for 33 years, so I guess that qualifies as my home town.

1. The skyline of Chilliwack is dominated by mountains, particularly Mount Cheam, which can be seen from almost everywhere in the community. The area is very agricultural, especially dairy production.

1. The other major physical feature is the Fraser River, which bisects the region.

1. The Gwynne Vaughan Heritage house (1896). Chilliwack was founded in 1860, so the buildings and architecture are relatively young compared to other places in the world.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited October 2, 2020

Great idea for a challenge, @pegelli. I love seeing the photos people are sharing. Not sure whether I will find time to join in the fun or not. (I feel like I am still playing catch up ever since spending 5 weeks on a business trip in South Africa right before the pandemic affected so many of us. And then having a derecho come through my home town.) But I am so impressed with the beauty of the images being shared here. There is a facebook group called "View from my window" where people from all over the world are sharing photos taken from their home. It is amazing how many of those people have gorgeous views. This theme reminds me of that thread with all these gorgeous photos! Thank you for sharing!

• Lab_TestedLab_Tested Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins

Greetings from Boulder, Colorado. Here is a little taste of life around town.

1) Moose #1 and Moose #2 at Brainard Lake, located 13.5 miles west of Boulder, at an elevation of 10,300 ft.

2) The Boulder Flatirons in winter, taken from downtown Boulder. I promise the flatirons are hiding somewhere behind the clouds.

3) Pre-sunrise view of Eldorado Canyon illuminated under a full moon, located only a few miles south of Boulder, and home to world-class rock climbing.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

I live in southern Maryland near the Potomac so I don't have any mountains, but it has taken me a long time to pick three
    1) My driveway

2) Cuckold Creek in the winter - we used to have our boat in a marina here.

3) The Veterans Day Parade - every year they stage this parade in the parking lot of the school across the street from our house.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2020

A great idea for a mini, Pieter. I'm having a hard time choosing, so I may swap a picture out before the deadline...

My adopted hometown of Augsburg, Germany has a rich cultural heritage and offers many nearby recreational activities, so I hope I do it justice.

1) Hercules Fountain. This 17th century fountain is located in the middle of Maximilianstrasse, which is lined with 18th century houses. At the end of the street stands the Basilica of St. Ulrich and AFra.

2) Just before the start of a performance of Jesus Crist Superstar (2019) at the Freilichtbühne am Rotes Tor. There's hardly a better way to enjoy a summer evening than at our open-air amphitheater set directly on the old city walls. I say "our" because the stage is run by the theater where I worked for 20 years - I've even performend there myself.

3) Augsburg is flanked by two rivers and has a huge city forest, part of which is literally out my back door. The forest is riddled with cycling and walking paths and a canal system that dates back to the early middle ages. One of my favorite bike paths runs alongside this canal.

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Great theme, lots of wonderful photos!

Full moon rising over the local coop

Garvey Elevator on the horizon

Bartlett Arboretum

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Thanks for all the entries.
    In case someone still wants to join there's less than a day left, but still room for more.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited October 12, 2020

Love the theme for this mini and just getting to this after a visit with my three sisters. We have not gathered since December 2019, and it was lovely to be together outdoors on our deck! Coming back to mention that I grew up in the midwest USA but have lived north of Philadelphia for almost thirty years now.

1) Glencairn Museum in Winter - This building was a home for Raymond and Mildred (Glenn) Pitcairn and their family, and later became an amazing art museum focusing on art from various religions. I love that this museum - in my home town - offers wonderful educational programs. And in December, they display nativity scenes from cultures around the world. Such a treasure!

2) This is a view from what is known as Cathedral hill. On a foggy morning, after a lovely snowstorm, or if there is the promise of a rainbow - I try to come here for a view of natural environment around me. This photo shows something I captured after a wet snowstorm.

3) The Pennypack watershed is near my home. After a dgrin challenge inviting us to incorporate intentional camera movement, I captured this image from the woodlands in the Pennypack

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

This mini is now closed, I'll post the results in the coming days but given the diversity and quality of the entries I need a bit of time to pick the winners.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug