Results Mini Challenge #305: Revisit

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
edited September 26, 2020 in The Dgrin Challenges

First, I want to thank you all for participating in this mini. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your entries and reading the stories that came with them. With travel curtailed for many of us, it is especially welcome to see the places you would like to revisit! I found myself especially drawn to images that convey depth. I am going to comment on one or more photos from each of you.

@JAG I really enjoyed seeing your panoramic photo of the Grand Canyon. (I was there a few years ago and know that it can be difficult to capture its beauty). But I also love the beauty and mood of the photo you took in Italy. I think that one is my favorite.

@Cavalier I have now added the Palouse area to my list of places to visit someday. That gentle landscape looks beautiful. I love your capture of the beauty of Yellowstone National Park!

@grandmaR Your photo of the Fisherman’s Bar stands out for me. I love the way one fisherman is standing barefoot while another makes eye contact with you, the photographer.

@DavidRGillespie I can see why you would want to revisit all of these places! While I appreciate all three, it is the photo of the kayaker in Chile that draws me in. It is partly the elements of your composition and partly the way the kayaker is pausing to savor the view. Fun to see the two photos of the tree on Spring Island as well! Thank you for sharing this beauty with us.

@dlscott56 Your photo of Prague is my favorite one of your entries but I also appreciate the beauty of your capture of Yosemite. I would like to see a little more of the sky in the frame but love the atmosphere.

@pegelli All three of these landscapes are amazing, so it is difficult to choose a favorite. I love your image from Tuscany but I keep coming back to your gorgeous capture of Cotes-d’Amor! I am intrigued by the house between those massive rocks—all reflected in the water.

@sarasphotos It was hard to choose a favorite but I settled on your photo of the hotel in Les-Eyzies, France (with its back story). I love the details you’ve captured here and it looks like a charming place to stay - with or without those memories!

@slpollett I can see why you would like to return to Zion National Park! I like all three of your entries but I really like the depth of this composition from your first visit to this park.

@Ikbart I find your shot of the redwood forest in northern California mesmerizing. I can see why you want to go back.

With so many fine entries - and some great background stories - it was very hard to narrow this down!

Honorable mentions
@dlscott56 for the image of Prague
@Ikbart for the photo taken in the Redwood Forest in California

Third place goes to @DavidRGillespie - Kayaker in Chile

Second place goes to @Cavalier – Yellowstone National Park

First place goes to @pegelli - Cotes-d’Amor

Congratulations, Pieter! Looking forward to what you choose for the theme of the next challenge!

Comments

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Wow, never expected that with so many great entries of places I would also like to visit. I'm honoured to be the top pick of this bunch.

Congrats to @Cavalier and @DavidRGillespie for 2nd and 3rd place, also wonderful places and photo's. I especially like human element in David's photo.

Thanks to @sapphire73 for a fine mini and all the comments. I'll put my thinking cap on and see what I can come up with next.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@sapphire73 Thanks Gretchen, for the good comments and for running such a good mini. There were many great entries and I loved all the winners! @pegelli Pieter, I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

This was a really great idea. I'm glad you liked my fisherman. He was one of my favorites. And there were so many great photos - I'm sure you had a hard time choosing.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited September 27, 2020

@grandmaR said:
    This was a really great idea. I'm glad you liked my fisherman. He was one of my favorites. And there were so many great photos - I'm sure you had a hard time choosing.

I am so glad you enjoyed this mini, even though it was hard for you to narrow down what to share. :smile: And yes, it was very difficult to choose!

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins

Picking a winner #1 must have bin HARD, most were #1. That one always caught my eye tho good job.

Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited September 26, 2020

@jwear - You are absolutely right! This was a very difficult challenge to judge. I can see why "we" have sometimes awarded everyone with an honorable mention, and I could have gone that way. I chose to highlight my favorite images in the comments and then limit the number of honorable mentions but I could have gone the other way.

Many thanks to everyone who participated in this mini! I really enjoyed your images and stories! Thank you for sharing!

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

bravo! @sapphire73 Gretchen, you did an awesome job of wrapping this challenge up! I know it was difficult for you! Congrats to Pieter, Jo and David for your winning entries! I'm sure we will have quite an interesting challenge from you Pieter.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Thanks, @sapphire73 for a great mini, and for the third place. Congratulations to @pegelli and @Cavalier for first and second. There were lots of really great images to choose from!

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2020

Great theme, great comments & great choices for winners! Congrats to all! & thanks for the HM!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/