Anyone here use Wacom?

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited December 12, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I'm thinking about picking up a Wacom Intuos3 6x8 to work with PSCS2. I've never used one before but it was highly recommened.

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    I'm thinking about picking up a Wacom Intuos3 6x8 to work with PSCS2. I've never used one before but it was highly recommened.
    The only thing worth considering is which Wacom tablet you should buy. You will never go back to the mouse again.

Sam
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Tablet
    My (very artistic) daughter (check her recent work in vexels category) swears by the tablet. I got her one a few years ago, this year upgraded to a bigger/better version. She almost never uses the mouse.

I also tried to use tablet myself. While I can see its convenience if you do a lot of freehand stuff (like she does), I personally tend to use "mass"/"math" weapons - curves, gradients, paths, etc. In which case - strictly IMHO - tablet has really no advantage over the ole gud mickey.

The difference between us: she *draws* a lot (and almost never does touch up), I *color correct* and do other touch-up work (and almost never draw).

So, I guess, it really depends on what you're doing:-).

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    I have the Graphire, the cheapy Wacom. I love it. It's a mouse when I need it--like Nik said, it's best for clicking curves and buttons and what-not. But for painting a mask there's no substitute. I personally think that for photo retouching the Graphire is fine. If you're doing more artistic work then you'll need the larger tablet and the tilt-sensitive stylus. But I've never wanted a larger tablet. I would recommend it for everyone, especially since it's go the mouse....
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    I have a 6x8 Intous2, and I couldn't imagine working without it. I say get one, you'll love it.

Dave
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Have had a 6x8 2 for sometime.When Im at my other computer I find myself reaching for the penheadscratch.gif
    I think its time for a 3 and the oldie will go to the other1drink.gif
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    I also use the Wacom Intuos2 6x8 very nice to use

I would like to use the smaller for a week or two to see how it works
    I seem to get a little tired moving around the 6x8 area maybe the 4x5 would be better ne_nau.gif

But I still would not give up my tablet

Fred
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    I'm a long-time graphic tablet user starting way back in the early 80's with 24x24 Kurta (and larger) tablets ... at home I have used a Graphire for several years and now an Intuos3 ... also use their accessory "airbrush" pen. Purchase the size that suits your desktop real estate and pocketbook. I use the 4x5 because of my limited space and it does just fine.

Hey, you learn to use a crayon, pencil, and pen from very early in life ... and for us oldsters, mice came many years later unlike the youngsters who grew up with them. I find the tablet and pen far easier to use for intricate or detailed work than a mouse ... and in fact never use the mouse at home for any computer work.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    I have 2 6x8's in front of me at work (2 computers, I share 1 pen across them) and I have a 4x5 at home. I can't stand using the small 4x5 anymore and will get a 6x8 for home soon, the 4x5 will then live in my laptop bag :)

The new widescreen ones look interesting as I use dual monitors and even though you get used to the eliptical motion onscreen when you are drawing a circle on the tablet, I'd like it to be a closer ratio.

I've also used larger ones and for every day use I'd rather stick to the 6x8 size. For me the tablet has totally replaced the mouse, I was getting bad pains in my arm untill I switched.

I can't wait till the buttons on the side of the intuos 3's work with the linux drivers.

One of my workmates splurged on a cintiq and it is insane. I'm going to get one as soon as they get cheep enough.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Your hands will thank you for it...

I now can't use normal mice, and so oscilate between a Wacom Tablet, a Tablet PC (Wacom technology) and an 'ergonomic mouse' (think joystick that slides over the desk). Pickup a mouse and it's a quick trip off to pain city...

I now prefer photo editing using one anyway, they can be a bit of a pain for absolute positioning, and tool-tips sensitivity can need chaning if you use them a lot (I use them more than a typical user).

Oh yes, and they don't work with some USB hubs, they just randomly fail as soon as the Wacom drivers load (Dell FP1703s being an example in point), but you get a long cable with the tablet anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I like them and now use one most of the time. I would recomend the Intuos series on the basis that the pen/stylus/pointy thingy is a lot better than on the cheaper series, but the cost is higher.

You won't regret it and neither will your hands :-)

Luke
  • seberriseberri Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    Since 6 or 7 years I have am using daily a Wacom Ultrapad A4, I cannot Imagine working without it ... what can one do with a mouse ??

I shall update certainly next year for the new model Intuo A4
  • VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    I have a Wacom Graphire A3 and its works great. The pen have a plastic feeleing. But I think the new pens have rubber. Not sure. The intous model is so fine. *want - want* I even use my Wacom to navigate in the system. Alot more Ergonomic then a mouse. Its feels like. Moving the whole arm, and not just the wrist. If my Its alot easier to make masks. To bad it dont have a schroll wheel.
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    Graphire 4
    clap.gif Does have a scrool wheel for about $80 USD
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.