black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

1 )

2 )

3 )

4 )

5 )

6 )

7 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Great finds! Numbers 3, 5 and 6 are especially AWESOME!!

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Good work 1, 3, and 6 for me.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2020

@Stumblebum said:
    Great finds! Numbers 3, 5 and 6 are especially AWESOME!!

Thanks. There's sort of a sad side note related to the #5 shot. Remember that old rusted-out truck I posted not too long ago? It was parked not too far from this barn. Well, some parts scavengers ( could have been the owner, I don't know ) have really worked that thing over. All that remained of the bed behind the cab is gone. Half of the hood is gone. The steering wheel and a lot of the dash area is gone. Strangely, considering most cases like this, both doors and the chrome hood piece are still there.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2020

@Juano said:
    Good work 1, 3, and 6 for me.

Thanks. Relative to #1, that painted " sign " at the top of the barn is actually a copy of some family's quilt. Quilting was necessary early in the settlement of the Appalachians. It still has a strong presence.....especially as an art form. Like families can have a coat of arms, many would establish a particular quilt pattern that became the mark of the family. The practice of putting their pattern on their barn really grew and you can see these adornments all over the place. I've even seen competitions as to who can find and photograph the most of them in a prescribed period of time.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Great shots Tom!!

Image #5 ".....Strangely, considering most cases like this, both doors and the chrome hood piece are still there." Ah, maybe an example of a JIT Appalachian spare part inventory system. Or possibly, a higher-order system of regard for the next person...just take what you need. I suspect that when needed, someone will be back for these remaining pieces.

The entire set is great. #'s 1, 3, 6 make my favorite list. Very nice!!

Thanks for sharing these!

• Options

Thanks, my friend. I think you're right about the remaining stuff. I'm most surprised that the hood ornament survived....it has very little damage, easily fixed, and difficult to find or duplicate. The doors are seriously rusted out. But a good metal artisan could probably save them.

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2020

Wrack and ruin, Tom: I like them all but especially 2 and 3.

Does the original McCulloch even make chain saws any more?

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options

@willard3 said:
    Wrack and ruin, Tom: I like them all but especially 2 and 3.

Does the original McCulloch even make chain saws any more?

I'm not sure about McCulloch but I haven't seen their name in many years. Take care.