Options

RESULTS for Mini Challenge #307 Water Action Art

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Thank you to all who participated. Although there where a few entries that didn't quite meet the theme of Water Action Art, everyone did give at least one qualifying image to compete. Here are my thoughts in order of entry.

@Cavalier - Jo, your third entry, "An old standby" really fits this theme well. It has an artful quality of an abstract.
@grandmaR - your second entry, "Confused Sea" hits this theme well. It does have an artistic style to it.
@pegelli - Pieter, I like your first entry, "A fountain on the Central Square". Very abstract looking.
@DavidRGillespie - your first entry, "emerging from the froth" is a very artistic look to water. If you look into the at the bubbles long enough, you can see faces of cats and dogs in each one! (or maybe I am seeing things??lol)
@sarasphotos - Sara, I had a hard time picking just one of your photos as they all seem to fit the theme well. The first two entries especially stand out!
@lkbart - Lillian, I love all three of your entries too. However, the "gurgle monster" is quite unique!
@sapphire73 - Gretchen, your third entry "River over Pebbles" has a lovely abstract quality to it. The colors really stand out. The extra image you posted, has lovely colors too and was a very worthy entry, even over your first two images.

Ok, here are the winners:
Third Place
@sapphire73
River over pebbles in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, USA

Second Place
@sarasphotos
At the entry to the Augsburg botanic gardens

First Place
@lkbart
Gurgle monster

Congrats to the runner ups and to Lillian for her win. Now it's up to you to come up with the next challenge!

Comments

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins

@JAG thanks for the 2nd place and for choosing such an interesting topic. Lillian and Gretchen congrats for 1st and 3rd - Lillian, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited October 26, 2020

@JAG thank you for the unusual topic for this mini. It was fun to see what I might have that could fit the topic. I would have made the "Black Tears" of the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor an entry but thought the focus was more on the oil than water. So I appreciate your feedback on that shot and the 3rd place on the River over pebbles photo. I took that (3rd place) picture while revisiting a spot I visited several times with my father before his passing.

Congratulations to Lillian and Sara on 1st and 2nd! Looking forward to the next challenge.

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins

Very interesting challenge. I wasn't sure I had the right idea, but Joyce you picked out the one photo that I edited to be "artistic". I don't do that very often and I felt guilty about it as that wasn't exactly as it was in the original. Congratulations to the winners.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Wow, thanks so much, surprised by the win - so many great shots! & fyi, the red in the water is from a laser pointer, playing with light lol.
    Great theme & great comments Joyce! Congrats to Sara & Gretchen too!
    Will get a new mini up soon. :smiley:

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins

Congrats @lkbart for winning this mini, great photo and thanks for sharing your secret on the red colour in the water. Alse congrats to @sarasphotos and @sapphire73 for 2nd and 3rd place. Also thanks to @JAG for another fine mini subject as well as the comments for every participant.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Contratulations to @lkbart for the win, and @sarasphotos and @sapphire73 for second and third. Great images! Thanks @JAG for the comment. I suffer from an acute case of pareidolia (seeing faces in inanimate objects), so yes, I was attracted to diversity of things emerging in the froth. Wife Beth once had to come and find me on a riverbank because had become immersed in photographing faces in the stones