Best gear for winter photography?

GlostarsGlostars Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
Hi everybody,

What is the best gear I can use to get good Winterish photographs?

I live in Finland and I always wanted to get good images during winter where everything gets snowy white and the cities are colorful. However sometimes my smatphone doesn't get the captures right. So now I'm considering to buy a budget DSLR or Mirrorless camera.

Do you have any suggestions?
All the best!

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Welcome to Dgrin, Glostars! You really can't go wrong with any of the modern crop of DSLR or mirrorless cameras and any of them will take great winter scenes in capable hands. Try a camera shop and see what's available in your price range and then see how the camera fits in your hand, whether the size/weight and feature set suits you. But it's really the photographer that makes the picture and often good images are a result of proper exposures and also post-processing. That is something you can practice today even with your smart phone. Learn how to shoot raw images with your smart phone and post process them in an image editor. That will greatly enhance your current capabilities and give you skill to hit the ground running when you do get that new camera.

• GlostarsGlostars Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    > @kdog said:
    > Welcome to Dgrin, Glostars! You really can't go wrong with any of the modern crop of DSLR or mirrorless cameras and any of them will take great winter scenes in capable hands. Try a camera shop and see what's available in your price range and then see how the camera fits in your hand, whether the size/weight and feature set suits you. But it's really the photographer that makes the picture and often good images are a result of proper exposures and also post-processing. That is something you can practice today even with your smart phone. Learn how to shoot raw images with your smart phone and post process them in an image editor. That will greatly enhance your current capabilities and give you skill to hit the ground running when you do get that new camera.

Thank you for the comment. I will for sure check all available options from every store. Even though I believe I am inclining more for a budget wise DSLR camera to start. I will probably use it more for learning by practice. I will also check how well all model work during long sessions in cold environments.
    All the best!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

^^ Sounds like a good plan. My own photography really took off when I bought my first DSLR. It's a great journey, so enjoy it.