Funeral pires for cremations

Varanasi

A night on the Ganges in Varanasi

Sunrise on the Ganges

Rags

Comments

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2020

Downwind of a cremation has to smell bad.

Mucha gente

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Very nice work, Rags. That third shot is an image that really sticks in my mind. I have a good friend who is an experienced world traveler. He tells me that India, as a whole, is the filthiest country he has ever been to, especially if you venture in to the bowels of any congested area.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

"Downwind of a cremation has to smell bad."... It depends on whether Mohammed ate a lot of garlic... :D

The gov't wants to ban open cremations, but the culture prevents enforcement...

It could be a function of no piped plumbing (sewer or water supply) & lack of paved roads...

World travelers can be categorized in two groups; tourists and travelers... for example: I prefer traveler for me - my bride prefers sitting at the pool

I found it the same as Viet Nam, Cambodia or Nepal.

The difference is the air; it's dirtier in India; but makes for better sunrises... :)

Rags