Mini Challenge #308 Let it Snow!

lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
edited October 27, 2020 in The Dgrin Challenges

This mini will run for 2 weeks, from today until 11/14/2020* 11pm CDT (GMT-5 +/-1). (*Date extended per moderator request)
Woke up to snow and a mini win this morning, so let's see some snow pics! And as much as I'd like to see the beautiful snowy landscapes I've seen from all of you, that would be too hard to judge! This mini should should have the subject(s) within about 10-15 feet of the camera, with snow being a big part of the photo. Examples below. Have fun!

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used, but for this challenge new photo's are strongly encouraged.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next show.

~Lillian~
A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Although we haven't had much snow here for the past year or two, I still had quite a few to choose from.

1) Roses at the Bishop's Garden in Augsburg

2) Enjoying the view. That branch is sticking out of a completely snow covered tree on the Wendelstein in Bavaria.

3) Winter fungi (Kirchberg in Tirol, Austria)

Bonus photo - not for judging
    4) Winter beergarden - waiting for my partner who was finishing his round of skiing (Almspitz, Nesselwang, Bavaria)

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Thanks for the great start Sara! These are perfect! & love the beer shot too, even though it's not an entry! :)

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 27, 2020

Fun challenge Lillian! I will be on vacation from this Friday till the 14th, but will be able to deal with this challenge if it closes earlier. I mentioned to the other mods that I will be gone, and they may be able to pin and unpin challenges. In the meantime, here are a few that I would enter...if I was back in time!

1 Snow at Grand Canyon (note: I was approximately 5ft from the tree on the right and was considering it as my main subject, as well as the canyon behind to show contrasting scenes.)

2 Snowy Evergreen

3 Snow Angel

As a bonus just because it's so beautiful...

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Not sure if any of these qualify. If not, just pass me on by!

1) Being beat up by a blizzard while walking on a glacier. Guess I could have offered some help instead of pointing my camera at them :blush:

2) Frogs

3) Buddy & Ollie loving the snow

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    1. Icicles
    2. Footprints
    3. Bell

an extra one - not enough snow

and a really old one - 1959 - Snowed in bikes

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Great challenge.No snow here yet, so these are from the past winter.

1. Let it snow!

1. old plow

1. Hummingbird in snow (Anna's hummingbirds hang around here all winter , and get my vote for toughest bird on the planet)

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great theme, but I had to do a dive in my archive since there's no snow here yet

1: Drying fish heads on the Lofoten

2: Red berries

3: Ice fishing

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Lab_TestedLab_Tested Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins

Presenting the Colorado all-dog edition of Let It Snow

1) Molly in the backyard

2)Blue in the backyard

3)Daisy, age 14,, at 12,000 feet along the Continental Divide

4) & 5) not for judging:
    A tragic end to the March 2000 mountain climbing expedition in the backyard

Great entries! Keep 'em coming! Only a few more days of this challenge!!

~Lillian~

Less than a day left on this challenge! Would like to see more entries!!

~Lillian~
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited November 15, 2020

Two photos taken in Colorado and one from my backyard.

1) Witch Hazel in Winter

2) Tree with Snow and Icicles (near Boulder)
    This is the first time that I saw a heavy wet snow and windblown icicles on a tree.

3) An Elk Browsing in the Snow (Rocky Mountain National Park)

Not an entry - came back this morning to add a photo focusing on the icicles that caught my eye!

Oops, sorry for the delay - this mini is now closed! Hoping to post results tomorrow.

~Lillian~