5D Mark IV......or no?

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins

So, I've been shooting with my 7D for many, many years. It's been through a lot. I've been kicking around buying a new camera for a couple of years now. I miss not having a real wide angle, which I haven't had since shooting film actually. So going with a 5D Mark IV kind of appeals to me.

With there being an obvious push to go mirrorless these days, I wonder if it's wise to buy a 4 year old DSLR design. I'm sure the 5D Mark IV would be head and shoulders above my 7D with image quality. I'd still have the 7D, so that's not part of the problem anyway.

I guess the issue I'm having is, should I click the "buy" button, I mean the 5D, grip and a second battery are sitting in my cart!

Should I do it? Would I regret not going mirrorless? Would Canon release a newer 5D a week later? Tune in next week to see what happens. Same bat time. Same bat channel. Or later tonight.....lol.

Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator

I am fully retired now, but I loved the EOS 5D Mark IV so much that I bought a second body. The first stays in a smaller kit with a standard/normal, f2.8 zoom, a 70-200mm, f4L, IS USM telezoom, and a punchy flash and flash modifier (DIY scoop).

I can do around 90% of my needs with that kit, which is mostly family and church events.

The second body is in a larger kit with an older standard/normal zoom, for both backup and occasional second shooter use, a 17-40mm, f4L for wide-angle zoom, a 135mm, f2 prime, 50mm, f1.4 prime, 90mm, f2.8 macro, and 1 or 2 more flashes, depending on intentions. I sometimes add a 400mm, f5.6L for local running events.

Remember that the 5D Mark IV also has a Live View mode, with the extremely competent Dual-Pixel AF, for the "mirrorless" experience.

Video mode adds a DCI 4k with Dual-Pixel AF, and for a bit more dynamic range I added Technicolor's Cinestyle profile, although it's not really optimized for the 5D Mark IV. I believe that you can still get the Canon "C-Log" alteration for $99. Do remember that converting video shot with either flat profiles or C-Log takes extra time, computer-cycles and drive space, to get back to Rec-709. Often, using a circular polarizer works better during acquisition.

I'm betting that you know this already, but any EF-S lenses you have for the 7D will not fit the 5D Mark IV, so factor that into your decision.

Both of my copies were purchased refurbished through the Canon store, and carried the same warranty as a new camera, but I didn't have to use the warranty.

Currently a factory-refurbished 5D Mark IV is $2,249.00.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins

Thanks for the reply Ziggy.

I only have one EF-S lens, and never use it. I have a few L series lenses, and they get used the most. I thought and thought about this decision, maybe a little too much. I talked with my oldest daughter, who also shoots Canon, and she pushed me off the fence. I went a head and bought the 5D mark IV, with the grip and a second battery. I'll keep using the 7D, especially when I'm out doing Jeep stuff. Heck, it's been dropped out of the Jeep off a 20 foot ledge in Moab and still works fine. It's just missing the top LCD...lol.

I'm looking forward to being able to shoot full frame again, and having the better image quality the 5D Mark IV will bring to my photography. I've barely used the video function on my 7D, but with the better video functions of the 5D Mark IV, I may use it more, but I doubt I'll dive into the 4K, C-log options, but who knows?

The new camera will arrive Monday, and I'm thinking my desire to shoot will be rekindled a bit.

Well, my new 5D Mark IV, along with the battery grip and spare battery arrived yesterday. First impressions, I like it. I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some shooting with it.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 22, 2020

The improvement in image quality from the 7D to the 5D Mk IV will be quite significant, as will the dramatic lower noise level at ISO's > 800 with the 5D MkIV.

One thing you MAY notice if you shoot high frame rates at high shutter speeds - long strings of frames for birds in flight - the buffer may get full in the 5D Mk IV. My solution to this mildly annoying issue, is to switch to mRAW, a bit smaller file than the large RAW files - that seemed to stop the buffer filling when shooting high frame rate with L RAW files. The mRAW files will still be much higher quality than the large RAW files from the 7D.

I like my 5D mK IV - I still think it is an outstanding body.

Be sure and post some images from your new camera!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins

Hi Ziggy53, may I be the last to wish you a fine retirement? I always valued your advice very highly. And Jeffro, it is definitely time to move on from the 7D. Many moons ago I recommended moving to 16:9 cuts and now with my 4k tv world it gives me daily satisfaction. In the lifetime of your photos you will see 8k or more - so do not skimp on resolution.
    As this is an oldish thread I am wondering what you did ....

@chrisjohnson said:
    Hi Ziggy53, may I be the last to wish you a fine retirement? I always valued your advice very highly. ....

Hey, Chris,

Thanks for the kind words.

Take care,

ziggy

ziggy53
    edited December 9, 2020

I've been trying to get out and practice using the new 5D Mark IV, but would love to get out even more. Right now everything is dead and brown...lol. Can't wait to try some eagles and some snow shots....here shortly.

Here are a few shots I've taken, while out playing around.

I've been trying everything from my 17-40L f4, to my 50 f1.4 to my 300L f4 with 1.4 and 2x teleconverters.

I should say, I am loving this camera. My old 7D was nice, but the image quality on this is way better. I noticed right away that the "noise" on ISO's higher than 800 were nothing, compared to my 7D. I'm so looking forward to shooting more with this, as time permits.

edited December 9, 2020

Here's an example of the ISO greatness....lol.

This was shot handheld, from my Jeep, which was running, with my 300L f4, with 2x teleconverter, after sunset, at f9, 1/500, ISO 12800.

ISO 800 doesn't look this good on my 7D.

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins

Wonder if the favorable comments on the 5DMIV still hold in 2022? Current 'special' pricing on the Canon refurb site is $1999 - so its a tempting upgrade without having to convert to the RF platform.

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

@Zanotti said:
    Wonder if the favorable comments on the 5DMIV still hold in 2022? Current 'special' pricing on the Canon refurb site is $1999 - so its a tempting upgrade without having to convert to the RF platform.

I still love my 5D Mark IV. I'd love a new R3, but it wasn't around when I bought my 5D. Maybe someday. I'd love to have the bird in flight tracking.

I have 2 of these bodies, the Canon 5D Mark IV, and it is by far my favorite overall image acquisition tool.

Consistent and predictable exposures, with excellent Autofocus, good speed and 30 MPix stills.

Body is substantial without being 1D series heavy.

For my applications, which is grandkid sports, scenics, landscapes, architecturals, portraits, family weddings and events, I can count on good results every time.

For RAW files I do recommend capture sharpening in post, since this body still has an AA/Nyquist filter to reduce moire. It's not a strong filter so it doesn't need strong sharpening.

Canon gives you a full year warranty on their factory-refurbished cameras, the same as a new body. No worries.

Full disclosure, I buy all my Canon, Nikon and Sony products at full cost, with no manufacturer sponsorship whatsoever. My opinions are my own.

ziggy53
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

@Zanotti said:

Interesting you should bring this up. I've been nosing around, especially after seeing that price. I have a pair of 5D3s right now, 7 and 8 years old. Both still work great, although one gets a little flaky now and then and I have to shut it off and back on to clear it. I'm just not sure if the 5D4 is enough of an upgrade to warrant $2K.

@moose135 said:
    ... I'm just not sure if the 5D4 is enough of an upgrade to warrant $2K.

I keep my 5D Mark III, with Magic Lantern installed, because Magic Lantern gains that body several capabilities including RAW video acquisition.

However, the Mark IV model is at least 2/3rd stop better in low-light, high-ISO on a per-pixel basis. This means an overall 1 full stop improvement in amortized high-ISO performance, because of the pixel increase, which you can otherwise use for larger print sizes, or cropping and straightening.

This is significant improvement for handheld landscapes and lower-light wildlife applications.

Plus, the Mark IV model gains Dual-Pixel Autofocus for both Live-View and video acquisition, except for 4k video which reverts to Contrast-based Autofocus, unfortunately.

Overall, the Mark IV model is more fun to shoot with and yields a higher percentage of keepers.

ziggy53

Thanks, Ziggy! I'll have to take a closer look at it. I really do wish the rear screen (which apparently is a touch screen now!) was articulating. That would come in handy at times.

@moose135 said:
    ... I really do wish the rear screen (which apparently is a touch screen now!) was articulating. That would come in handy at times.

There are work-arounds available for the lack of an articulating LCD:

1) Canon provides an app called, "Canon Camera Connect" for both Android and iOS devices. Once you install and activate the app, and go through the process of establishing a connection, you'll have a Remote Live-View of the LCD. You also have a virtual remote shutter release with the app.

Connect your Canon EOS 5D Mark IV to your Android phone via Wi-Fi
    https://youtu.be/N5lSwTB-CRc

Granted, this could get clumsy if handheld, but I saw a fellow create a bracket to attach his smartphone to the camera to help in that situation. I've only tested holding my smartphone with the camera on a tall tripod and that worked nicely.

2) For a studio situation, Canon provides a remote tether software which allows a laptop/desktop computer more extensive remote camera/lens control.

3 ) Finally, some folks use an external monitor mounted on either the hotshoe, a bracket or a full cage, which can be swiveled for awkward camera heights and angles. A monitor/recorder is also used for video work.

ziggy53

Thanks, Ziggy! I did see some suggestions about connecting with a phone, and that may be an option to try. I was mostly looking at it for when I'm shooting down low or have the camera over my head in a crowd (or to shoot over the fence at an airport...) One more thing to think about.