RESULTS - Mini-Challenge #309 Macro or Close-up

DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

I knew I was going to have a problem with this, and it's nice to be right! Thanks everyone for a wonderful set of images with at least one win-worthy image in every set. With that in mind, I am going to highlight one image from everyone's set, and designate a second place and first place at the end.

@cavalier, Jo I was really taken with your third image, of the strawberry tree bloom. It has a quality that reminds me of a classic painting, and I can't bring the artist to mind. Nicely framed, a lovely, soft background, and a great application of the filter.

@JAG, Joyce, I really liked #2, close enough. It nicely illustrates the idea of close-up (and definitely no closer!). The eye is lovely and sharp and the overall texture is really nice.

@lkbart, Lillian, your set is a really nice study of flowering stages. Of the three, I think #1 pre-bloom smoothness, is the nicest. It has a great warm tone from the evening sun, and the bud really stands out nicely against a soft background.

@pegelli, Pieter, your set is a nice illustration of different techniques in macro and close-up work. The focus-stack, 3. Amaryllis, is great, but I actually prefer #2, orchid birdie, with the beautiful, soft purple background and the symmetrical flower detail.

@grandmaR. #3, Strawberry, is so sumptuous. I can smell taste the strawberry and smell the vanilla ice cream. The frame is very nice, with the curve of the bowl holding the subject in place in the frame. The colours are beautiful, and the highlights add to the impression of freshness.

@dlscott, Dave, you presented three really nice close-ups showing off a real diversity of styles. Of the three, I like #2 Lamp, the best. The gravity-defying angle (sort of a dutch angle in a close-up) and the Ortonesque (is that a word?) glow around the out of focus elements are really lovely. The stark triangle of black below the subject is repeated in the opposite corner, which is a nice composition touch.

@sarasphotos, Sara, you gave us three lovely and very diverse images as well. I think #2 Heather blossoms, is really nice. The depth of field on the blossoms is great, and the stem as a whole is nicely separated from the soft background.

@sapphire73, Gretchen, realize you are sharing for fun, and what fun! I am a sucker for butterflies and the first image, Monarch Butterfly, is a great study in yellow, orange and green. The overall composition is lovely, the subject is very sharp.

So, drum roll,

Second place goes to @pegelli for image #2, Orchid birdie

First place goes to @sarasphotos for image @2, Heather Blossom.

The torch passes to you Sara!

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Great work Dave! Thanks for the comments and the well run mini challenge. Congrats to Sara ( @sarasphotos ) for the win and Pieter ( @pegelli )for runner up!

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Thanks @DavidRGillespie for an excellent mini, all the comments and awarding me second place in such a strong field. There were just so many great macro shots that I'm sure you had a real difficult time.

Ands congrats to @sarasphotos photo for winning in this highly competitive mini, as Dave said a wonderful picture and great use of limited depth of field to put the viewers attention on the essential details in front of a nice and smooth background.
    I'm looking forward to what you have in mind for the next mini.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@DavidRGillespie Wow, thanks for the pick to win and for the well-run mini. Congrats to Pieter @pegelli for the 2nd place and a wonderful set of shots.

I should have a new mini up by this evening or tomorrow.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

This mini was a bit out of my comfort zone (remember those?) but it was interesting. Thank you for the evaluation of my strawberry - it was pretty much an afterthought because I didn't have anything else suitable. It made me look at it with more appreciation. Lots of really great shots to look at.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2020

Was a great mini Dave! Wonderful comments, a variety of great shots! Congrats to Sara & Pieter for the win & runner up! Very awesome shots!!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/